Playing War of the Ring

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

When it comes to War of the Ring I...

Poll ended at Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:18 pm

Will definitely play!
30%
Am planning to play, but it will take me a while to get the army together.
16%
Might play, it depends on what my friends are doing.
22%
Will not be playing.
32%

Total votes : 37

Playing War of the Ring

Postby knitemare » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 pm

I hope everyone on the board will take part in this poll. I believe I may have jumped the gun on this. I thought that the people I play games with would really enjoy playing this game, but it's not looking good for me. I picked up a lot of models to be able to play this game and now...well, I think I just have a lot more models to paint than I did before.

If you are on any of the other lotr boards (one ring, last alliance, etc.) or any of the 40k or fantasy boards (I don't really know many of them) please ask those people to come take part in the poll as well. I would really appreciate it!
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby knitemare » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:04 pm

13 hours later and the vote is tied. The poll is up for 10 days.
knitemare

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 pm

I am planning on playing. Might take a bit to get my army painted. Hopefully I will get a game this weekend in Mke.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby knitemare » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:48 am

95 views, 19 votes. That seems a little scewed :)
knitemare

Postby Bart » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 am

I'm already playing it. My local gamestore started an escalation league last week and it gets a lot of players.

The store will be doing a WotR megabattle at Baltimore Gamesday so the staff is hardly doing anything else than painting, reading, playing WotR. And they are really excited about it.

Only a few of the SBG players had a lot of miniatures and we also have new LOTR players. This makes for some very bizar and unthemed armies. The new ent is popular, but theme-wise it's impossible to fit him in. But we are playing and enjoying it.
Bart

Postby jlong05 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:48 am

Just got my rulebook yesterday for it. So far I really do like it, but it will take a crap load of models to play. It is a bit weird in that you can get some seriously weird army compositions, but the game does look to be fun.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby knitemare » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 am

jlong05 wrote:Just got my rulebook yesterday for it. So far I really do like it, but it will take a crap load of models to play. It is a bit weird in that you can get some seriously weird army compositions, but the game does look to be fun.

Having played it myself, it IS fun. I know that it's fun. I bought a TON of models because I KNOW it's fun. Unfortunately, my friends are like, "I don't think I want to buy that many models."

To them, the appeal of LotR was that they could spend less than $100 and have a full army to play with and get a 2 hour+ game out of it. Now the see the multiple hundreds type of price tag and they are like, "meh."

I'm kind of screwed :)
knitemare

Postby MightyBearded1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm

I myself am sticking with Reg play./
MightyBearded1

Postby Bart » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 pm

knitemare wrote:To them, the appeal of LotR was that they could spend less than $100 and have a full army to play with and get a 2 hour+ game out of it. Now the see the multiple hundreds type of price tag and they are like, "meh."

I'm kind of screwed :)

WotR is indeed using A LOT of miniatures. That is if you want to play it themed. At our store we see the rise of monster armies: some basic troops together with some big monsters. It's not exactly Tolkienesque, but it makes for some fun games if you can put theme out of your mind for some time.

For playing outside a store you could use one model per company to represent the type and use counters or similar to mark the casualties. Making movement trays out of cardboard is very easy and cheap. That way you can have some practice games before deciding if you start investing in WotR and what army you like best.
Try to be creative to let your friends play the game. Once they have played it a bit I'm sure there will be some to go for it ! That at least is my experience.
Bart

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm

def good ideas for building more support
BostonNazgul

Postby JLeong » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 pm

I definitely have enough miniatures to play (will have some more painting to do to make my Minas Tirith force all look nice enough- Uruks are definitely ready, though), but the hard part will be scrounging up the cash for the rulebook!
JLeong

Postby knitemare » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:16 am

The rulebook isn't an issue for me. I haven't purchased mine yet (even though I pre-ordered) because I'm not getting a lot of support for my group.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:24 am

I'll be playing; just not sure when. You know how often I get a chance to come down to the bunker and play games :shock:

I've got enough models to play Rohan or Fallen Kingdoms easily. Over the next few months I'm planning on expanding my Rohan painted collection even more. I also want to add a second Mumak and a bunch more Haradrim to my Fallen Kingdoms armies.
BrentS

Return to News & Rumors