Dwarfs v. Dwarves

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

In Warhammer, is it:

Poll ended at Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Dwarfs
31%
Dwarves
69%

Total votes : 16

Dwarfs v. Dwarves

Postby CitizenNick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:31 pm

OK, I don't get this. I'll still proabably say Dwarves, but on the other hand Dwarfs is easier to remember.

Disscuss, but keep it civil.
CitizenNick

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:33 pm

After having encountered the word "dwarves" in print literally thousands of times I'm completely unable to use any other form of the word.
Brian

Postby knitemare » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:43 pm

I answered the poll as Dwarfs, because your question was very specific.

In Warhammer, they are called Dwarfs. As noted here: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... efault.htm

Everywhere else on Earth, they are called Dwarves.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Huoshini » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:24 pm

knitemare wrote:
Everywhere else on Earth, they are called Dwarves.

Everywhere on MIDDLE earth!!!
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Postby Carrick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Do you use the spelling Ork in reference to the 40k beastie? Even though it is spelled Orc in virtually every other fantasy/sci-fi incarnation (except Tolkien's own - Ork/Orkish)?

Then when it comes to Warhammer related games it is Dwarfs.

Having read more books than those of D&D and Tolkien I am used to seeing it written the correct way. Outside of bad Tolkien rip-off rubbish it is spelled correctly. Dwarfs.

C. S. Lewis' Dwarfs grew from stone. The Warhammer Universes (now only the Warhammer Fantasy World) use this archetype rather than Tolkien's Elf Fondlers.

At least GW had the wit to steal from a much better series of books with a much better creation myth.
The Warhammer' Dwarfs have this same creation myth - they developed as a race in the bowels of the planet, amongst the roots of mountains.
The Squats (also Space Dwarfs) Ancestor Worship is seen as culturally significant in a race (albeit of man) dedicated to Science and highly pragmatic in temperament. They knew that life had evolved from unlife - that the rocks themselves had produced their race.

An additional nod to the rival series being the roots of the two Warhammer races - Orks/Orcs from Tolkien and Dwarfs from Lewis - are their traditional hatred of each other in the Warhammer mythology.
Adepticon '08 - Sixth Worst 40k Sportsman.
Adepticon '09 - Ninth Worst 40k Sportsman.
Carrick

Postby knitemare » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Carrick wrote:Do you use the spelling Ork in reference to the 40k beastie? Even though it is spelled Orc in virtually every other fantasy/sci-fi incarnation (except Tolkien's own - Ork/Orkish)?

Then when it comes to Warhammer related games it is Dwarfs.

Having read more books than those of D&D and Tolkien I am used to seeing it written the correct way. Outside of bad Tolkien rip-off rubbish it is spelled correctly. Dwarfs.

C. S. Lewis' Dwarfs grew from stone. The Warhammer Universes (now only the Warhammer Fantasy World) use this archetype rather than Tolkien's Elf Fondlers.

At least GW had the wit to steal from a much better series of books with a much better creation myth.
The Warhammer' Dwarfs have this same creation myth - they developed as a race in the bowels of the planet, amongst the roots of mountains.
The Squats (also Space Dwarfs) Ancestor Worship is seen as culturally significant in a race (albeit of man) dedicated to Science and highly pragmatic in temperament. They knew that life had evolved from unlife - that the rocks themselves had produced their race.

An additional nod to the rival series being the roots of the two Warhammer races - Orks/Orcs from Tolkien and Dwarfs from Lewis - are their traditional hatred of each other in the Warhammer mythology.

I think I've always spelled them Dwarf (dwarves plural) and Orc. I do come from a D&D household though. For 40k, I do write it as Ork.

I don't know that it would ever occur to me, even after reading tons of fantasy novels, to refer to a Dwarf in the plural as Dwarfs.

I played a lot of Magic: The Gathering and they use Dwarves as well.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Carrick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:58 pm

So we have learned that D&D and Magic draw their Dwarves from Middle Earth.
And Warhammer draws its' Dwarfs from Narnia.

Now all you have to do is write it out ten times a day until you remember it.
Sporadic testing will follow.
Carrick

Postby xNickBaranx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:59 am

Despite any roots arguments, I'm fairly certain GW exclusively uses Dwarfs as the plural.

As a former D+D player it always struck me odd when I'd see Dwarfs in writing, but it is what it is.

Now I use English spellings for Armour and such because that's how I see it written on a near daily basis. Armor just looks weird now.

But yeah, GW = Dwarfs.
xNickBaranx

Postby Celthulhu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:19 pm

dwarf, n., pl. dwarfs, dwarves
1. a person of abnormally small stature owing to a pathological condition, esp. one suffering from cretinism or some other disease that produces disproportion or deformation of features and limbs.
2. an animal or plant much smaller than the average of its kind or species.
3. (in folklore) a being in the form of a small, often mishapen and ugly, man, usually having magic powers.
etc.
Syn. dwarf, midget, pygmy are terms for a very small person.
Roots in Middle English, Old English, Old High German, etc.

Webster's Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language.

So either variation is correct.
Celthulhu

Postby biztheclown » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Carrick wrote:
Tolkien's Elf Fondlers.

In other news, this would be a great name for a band.
biztheclown

Postby Carrick » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:37 pm

biztheclown wrote:
Carrick wrote:
Tolkien's Elf Fondlers.

In other news, this would be a great name for a band.

A Folk Band.
Carrick

Return to News & Rumors