[Necro] New Player; New Gang

Don't see a specific forum for all those other classic GW games? This is it. Necromunda, Inquisitor, Mordheim, Warmaster and even Warhammer Quest!

Re: [Necro] New Player; New Gang

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah, I agree with Nat on this one. A heavy bolter is not worth the cost for what you get. I'll take a heavy stubber any day. It's alot more reliable and cheaper too.

Tom thinks I should retire my current Escher gang. Their gang rating is only 2020, but he thinks they're too tough. Not sure I want to retire them just yet. Of course for the Necromunda campaign this summer, I'll start a new gang. I just need to get some stuff painted up for that gang. The witches I got from the Dark Eldar will look cool.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm going to throw a new gang list out there for C&C.

Rolling Thunder, my current Van Saar, are hurting. Remus Jowseki, my highest XP ganger besides my leader (he had 110XP) died Thursday. This death and more injuries are making life difficult. Examples of my more badly injured gangers - Uriel Danforth, one of my shooters, has 86 XP. He has an Old Battle Wound, Chest Wound, Arm Wound (Right), and Bitter Emnity (Melissafit). Quentin Plaice, one of my swordsmen, has 87 XP. He has 3 base attacks and a Chainsword, but also has a Chest Wound, Hand Injury (Left: 2 fingers), and Arm Wound (Right). Thus he is WS2, S2, T2 - not the best stats for a CC monster. In total 3 of my 8 gangers have Old Battle wounds. I'm also at 7 creds after I bought a replacement Juve - my settlement is apparently full of pacifists and has never sent anyone my way. On the other hand my leader is at 190XP and is maxed out in WS, S, T, W, and Ld with no injuries.

Last time I started heavy in bodies and light on equipment: A leader, two heavies (only one with a special weapon), four gangers, and three juves (I think). I'm going to try a bit of a different style this time and go light on bodies and heavy on equipment. Only seven in the starting roster this time, but all well armed. I plan to add to the ranks instead of saving up for firepower. Still going with Van Saar to reuse models where possible.

Gang Leader - Plasma Gun and Lasgun - 215 cred
Heavy - Heavy Plasma Gun and Lasgun - 370 cred
Heavy - Plasma Gun and Lasgun - 155 cred
Ganger - Lasgun - 75 cred
Ganger - Lasgun - 75 cred
Ganger - Shotgun - 70 cred
Juve - Autopistol - 40 cred
Total - 1000 cred

A few strategic decisions: I like Plasma, so I packed as much Plasma as possible in - my three Plasma weapons should give me a good firebase to start with. (It also informed the working name - Suns of the Underhive) All three have backup lasguns for failed ammo rolls or after full power shots. I've discovered how nasty shotguns are and won't be leaving them home to begin with this time. However, due to lack of funds I won't have manstoppers to begin with. Armed the Juve with an Autopistol instead of Laspistol due to the lack of Long Range modifier; if it jams on him it'll teach him to maintain his gun better. I don't have the bodies to work every territory yet, but should get them quickly enough.

Thoughts?
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 am

Oh, and while I'm at it a WIP of the Heavy Plasma Gunner. I've been slightly stuck on how to add one, my best Idea has been to buy a Sentinel and hack up the Plascannon off that, but the $30 tag and amount of work has been a real barrier.

Then on Thursday I saw the FW Space Marine Heavy Weapons at the bunker. Perfect. Half the price and I get a Lascannon and Heavy Bolter to boot. What's more, the Missile Launcher arms from the Cadian Heavy Weapons need just a little bit of work to fit - I widened the stance with a shim of green stuff and will need to do some work to integrate the Guardsman's trigget into the weapon. Right now the gun is just stiky tacked on.

ImageImageImage
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Man that is a big gun, or he is very happy to see everybody! It is nice work, just out of scale. Maybe it is just the picture.

THe list looks good, until you start cooking your own troops or start losing guys in combat. Just have to play a very careful and sneaky game for awhile until you can get some more cannon fodder.

For anyone interested, i ordered some 1:72 biplanes yesterday, Im starting to work on some RFC stuff. ^ planes I should be able to get done fairly quickly.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:15 pm

It is a big gun but not, I think, out of scale. The Space Marine and IG Plasma Rifles I have are the same size to under a mm in each direction.

Completed weapon next to a Plasma Rifle:

I think part of the scale problems have to do with the shoulder mount; the weapon seems to have about the same size as the official model (shamelessly ripped off some random blog):

SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Interesting. Was not trying to harsh your mellow, and the comparison pics help with scale pics, it is when its on a shoulder it looks fricken huge. Stil looks awesome. I suppose my Hvy Bolter on shoulder mount looks similar, if I dig it out ill try to take some pics and post.

EDIT: Are you guys using the the straight book for gangs or is there something newer out there. Have not paided attention to anything GW for a long time. MOre time spent with the HIstoricals end of GW as well as several other projects.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Straight book (Underhive that is, not the original). There's a Community Edition out there, but I've not looked into it and we haven't really found it neccessary - even the Outlanders are supported in the Underhive set if you know where to find the PDFs.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Previous

Return to Other Classic GW Games