Mulling over the Steel Legion

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

Mulling over the Steel Legion

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:34 pm

I just received 2 IG infantry boxes and enough BMP-3s to fill out 2 Mech Inf Companies with Infantry Platoon, Fire Suport, and Hydra. I am considering the following as a 3k list.

Tank Company 900
Extra Squadron
Hydra

Tank Company 900
Extra Squardon
Hydra

Regimental HQ 825
Infantry Platoon w/ 3 Chimaeras
Fire Support w/ 2 Chimaeras

Rough Riders 150

Shadowsword 200

Total 2975

Switching from Sentinels to Rough Riders allows some Engage ability at the expense of shooting. If I had another 25 pt to spare I'd say it wasn't worth it. However they allow a 120cm scout screen. What are people's experiences with RRs as a scout screen? Is the loss of shooting worth it?

Shadowsword as a WE-hunter.

The stumbling block is the low activation count. 5 activations in a 3k army is decidedly low. However, the activations are either rock hard or high unit count, with excellent firepower and FF. Mobility is moderate to high, and range, especially on the TCs, is excellent. The combination of high durability and high damage potential should allow me to climb the 'activation curve' in T1 and T2, and position myself to take objectives in T3 and T4. The question is whether I can render enough formations combat ineffective to make this strategy work. Taking the BTS is also an issue. It would require concentration of firepower, which would be very damaging.

What are your thoughts?
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:45 pm

tweak something with one of the leman russ companies. you don't want duplicate BTS formations.
Lordgoober

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Honestly, I'm not too worried about that. I definately understand the aversion, but each will take an average of 53.5 AT hits to destroy. Each will also be carrying a Commisar (min on 2d6 is 2) to prevent being hacked down completely in engage or when broken.

This is theoryEpic, and they will, of course, participate in assaults as well. They make an average of 6.833 hits in FF, while cutting incoming hits by nearly a factor of four.

Point is, either one would require a significant concentration of fire to take down, which would tie down a good few formations. Even then, there is no guaruntee, due to the Fearless Commissar.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Believe me. I know what you're thinking about. I'm seriously thinking about using both of my standard LR companies in the Adepticon list.
Lordgoober

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:27 pm

IMO, you are making your units too big, and this is coming from an ork player. Big units are too easy to make combat ineffective vs the points you spend on them. Yes, they can generate a lot of firepower, but a KOS with 24 units can engage you, go into contact with each leman russ, lowering you to a six to hit in CC, and break you quite easily. You need more activations.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:30 pm

I knew someone would rain on my parade, and suspected it would be you, Shaggrudd. The fact you're right makes it worse. :D I may try it just to see, but that was my suspicion all along.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:46 pm

IG tank companies are like stompa mobs meaning it is too easy to make them combat ineffective by putting blast markers on them. Frankly, I think they should have the "they shall know no fear" rule. You spend enough points on them.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Aside from fluff:

EEEEEEEK!

ATSKNF would make Tank companies seriously messed up; like Mole Mortar x2 messed up. THink of a Terminator formation that shoots at 75cm, and has 10-13 units in it! You pay the same as an Arty. Coy., which has longer reach, but reduced damage potential. THe price is fine, but when you try tricking it out, it gets pricy real fast.

I don't even know where I'd get spare Russes, so the point is moot.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Return to Epic: Armageddon