Epic Big Game

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

Epic Big Game

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 pm

So, in the interest of making the topic more visible, and not hijacking the tourney results thread, I'm going to do some bullet points of what has been discussed here. If I miss anything, just let me know.

1) Our next goal should be a large (10k+ per side) game.

2) If possible, we should attempt to set it up in a high traffic area of the Bunker.

3) A Stalingrad-like cityfight with objectives for an attacker to capture and a defender to, um, defend has been the focus of most of the discussion at this point. A Horus Heresy historricl refight has also been suggested.

4) Orks vs. IG seems to be the logical matchup in terms of background and available forces.

These are the most pertinant points from the previous thread.

Nat
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 pm

[Orks vs IG] is a good approach. I can certainly contribute my share of guard. I think that we should try an allied forces game, where we could use several Guard variant lists versus several Ork variant lists.

I can contribute about 4k of Baran, including 2 meters each of trench lines and razorwire, and about 5k of Steel Legion.

I do have a fair amount of unbuilt Orks, but if Bon Vivant or another is willing to pitch his in, we should be able to do an army of Speed Freeks and a Ghazghkull's Warhode army with what we have. Does anybody play Feral?

I think if we want to go big, and get a ton of people involved, we should go for all the gusto and see how much we can put on the field. Certainly having most of the larger force start off in reserves would do a lot to level the field. Why go for 10k a side if we can do 20k? I think that the best way to show off Epic is to show HOW epic it can be.

Nat
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:10 pm

I have roughly 10,000 points of Blood Angels too.

I also have this table....

Which is really, really, really fun to play on...
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 am

Nat I have 12k in orks that are painted. I think for this game we should only use painted stuff.

Matt, your table is awesome! How big is it? If it's big enough for a 10k game, I would love to use it as it would really make the game stand out.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 am

That is a freakin' awesome table!

As to painted armies, my Guard armies, particularly my Legion, are actually in a more painted state than my Eldar at this point. I could get them painted up entirely given about a months notice.

However, if we want to restrict ourselves to just two people's armies for simplicity, that's OK too.

Anyone want to take a stab at a scenario?
Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 am

THe way to have a goood big game is similar to apoc, someone needs to step up and take charge. Having done a big game that is the key.

One needs to get a scenario to play. Tourney sttyle does not work. A GM is also needed. He can play but is responsable for organizing everything.

Bigger goals are needed. The game will probly neeed more than 4 turns. We need to work together to figure compantent forces. Orks and Imps(any flavor). 10k is about as big as we need to go at first. We can throw more units in as the game progresses according to the GM.

Just my thoughts and I am NOT volentering myself to do the main GM stuff but more than willing to help out whoever does.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 am

Table is 4' x 6'. I've played a bunch for 8000-10000 vs similar games on it. It's a blast.

Not that it is Epic - but a long time ago I ran a huge 40K game in a very similar manner (14'x14' table). The rules are here:

files/biggame.pdf

Just wanted to point out the missions at the end. These were assigned to individual players (each mission had an opposed Heretic/Imperial side). Definitely need to do something bigger than the normal Tournament scenario.

Photos here:

gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=696
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Bon_Vivant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 pm

I could put together 5000 or so point of painted orks. I would love to play.

Joe
Bon_Vivant

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Ok, I'm willing to step forward to run the thing. I completely agree about bigger goals, and that's why I am leaning towards a Stalingrad like scenario with the use of Matt's table as long as he does not mind. That table is awesome, and it alone would attract people.

A good scenario will be easy to do for I'll simply do a historical wargaming approach to the game. A 4 x 6 table is a little tight for orks, and we may need to bring units on in waves. I'm also thinking of doing an Imperial defense starting with IG with space marine and Titan legion reinforcements coming in to save the day. I also see using two tables, Matt's table representing the city and a grass table representing the area outside the city.

Each side would have a series of goals set for themselves. These are some ideas I have.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:08 am

Okay, some developing thoughts. I decided that since I'm going to be monitoring the game, I will not be using points for the game. I have a good idea on what I want forces-wise and how the game will hopefully play out. My general plan is to have the orks hit hard on a outnumbered IG and space marine force. When the time is right, a large space marine and titan relief force will swoop in for the rescue.

What I will need to start compiling is a list of what ork, marine, IG and titans people have THAT ARE PAINTED. That's important that everything be painted. Also, how many thunderhawks can we muster that are not of the shuebox varient. I want to not go too over the top with stuff and ideas as that will not make it fun. I just want to get forces that will make sense.

One thing I should mention is that if you are going to volunteer your models, you may not be controlling them, others may control them as well. If you are not comfortable with others controlling your models, make sure you speak up. I will offer up nearly all my orks and there is no way I will not have others use them. That's just not fun!

And just to let you know, my ork army is mechanized which fits the scenario better.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:45 am

Steel legion:

1 Tank Coy (GW)
1 Tank Coy (GHQ T-80s)
1 Mech Inf/RHQ inc Commisar option, 7 Chimaeras and Fire support. No transport for the Fire support yet.
2 Sentinal Squadrons
3 Baneblade and 3 Shadowsword basecoated, able to be painted up in 1 session.

Baran:

1 Heavy Tank Platoon (Ragnaroks)
1 Seige Anti Air Battery
1 Seige Artillery Battery
1 Seige Infantry Coy (No upgrades)
1 Sapper Formation

Baran, in particular, has a very quick paint job, so if you plan on using Seigemasters at all, I can whip more up quick.
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:17 am

Painted Titans.

4 Warhounds
2 Reavers (my 3rd is really in pieces)
1 Warlord
1 Imperator
1 Mega Gargant

Painted Marines.

The Majority of the Smurfmarine Chapter. Infantry is about 12 stands short of the whole thing, Vehicles are all over the place in types. 3 Thunderhawks are available in one paint scheme.
Lordgoober

Postby getupandgo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Matthias wrote:I have roughly 10,000 points of Blood Angels too.

I also have this table....

Which is really, really, really fun to play on...

I think that table is what got me interested in epic, truth be told...

My titan legion is slowly marching towards completion.
getupandgo

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Okay, so far we are looking at an impressive inventory of units for the game. So far we have:

6-8 Russ companies
3 artillery companies
4 mech inf companies
4-5 inf companies (foot) maybe more
2-3 shadowsword companies
2-3 baneblade companies
Maybe 6 sentinel squadrons
2+ stormtrooper formations with Valkyries
Plus all of Nat's siege masters stuff

I know we can get more if needed. We also have Matt's Bloodangels and Robert's Ultramarines. A contingent of Bloodangels will start on the table defending the Spaceport and the Ultramarines will come in as reinforcements along with elements of a Titan legion provided by Jon: 4 warlords, 2 reavers, 4 warhounds.

The orks have:

4 big warbands mounted
7 huge blitz brigades
2 huge kult of speed
2 stompa mobs one has a suppastompa
1 Gargant
5 Great Gargants

As you can see, we need more orks. Who can help?
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Chad, I'm trying to prioritize for the Big Game. I'm hoping/expecting to be able to get the remainder of my 4k Baran and 3k of Orks done, but find myself project hopping between those and my Steel Legion, which is rapidly becoming my favorite army... and not needed. :(

Were I to have trouble getting the entire 7k painted, would 2k of Baran and 3k Orks, or getting the entire 4k Baran done be more preferable? Currently, I have everything but the fortifications finished for 2k of Baran, and 1 Big Warband painted.

Additionally, would you like me to get the Bruennhilde gun tractors for may Baran arty. painted? I always take the emplacement option in normal play, so haven't taken the time. However, as this is not a pointed battle, perhaps having them around would be good, fluffwise? It would also allow the Blitzen to 'Flak Rush' if neccessary (see below).

Finally, I notice your list does not include any AC. Since there will be a spaceport to defend, would they be a good idea? It might be interesting to have them start their moves from the spaceport (instead of off board), and allow them to be fired apon/assaulted while grounded. I have a couple of FW Marauders that need paint, and may yet be able to find the 2nd of my FW T-Bolts...
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Next

Return to Epic: Armageddon