Nat's blog-o-stuff

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 pm

New Completions: 6/3rd Tank Coy. (Ragnaruss) and 54/1st Coy. (SG Basilisk/OW Armas)

Otherwise, just better pics of existing stuff, trying to clean up/out my Photobucket folders. One addition, visible (barely) on the 54/1st and 6/1st, is Company markings on the front side hulls. Going with the same as my Baran - Foundation colors in order. Commissar/Command have added black stripes, AA when painted will have added white stripes - I am planning on having them organic to their Company, as opposed to attached from an AA Coy.

Current completed Steel Legion.

83/1st Coy. Still WIP: Transport, AA. Needs extra Platoon. Barely visible behind the Company Standard is the Commisar Stand, which I add to a regular infantry stand for reasons I've forgotten...

54/1st Coy. Still WIP: AA.

6/1st Coy. Still WIP: AA.

6/2nd Coy. Still WIP: AA.

6/3rd Coy. Still WIP: AA.

6/6th Coy. Still WIP: AA.
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

WAAAGH!

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:28 am

Today's update is the first Big Warband in my budding Ork army. It is the Warboss' Warband, and is Goffs. The only work remaining is to put static grass on the bases.

Group shot. 4 Grotz, 12 Boyz, 4 Nobz, 1 wif Warboss. The Left Rear stand is the test, and has an 'ard coat finish, which I decided I didn't like. It will be Matte Varnished back down.

Goff Boyz, front and rear. The only change from my test scheme was to do a very light Codex Grey drybrush/extreme edge highlight on select areas. Specifically the back plate and plates under the right arm.

Boyz wif Banner Pole. The design is from the 40k Ork transfers.

Grotz

Nobz. From certain angles these look a bit like Black Tamplars, but the addition of the dags to the back banners goes some way to fixing that. I am particularly pleased with how well the kustom bases blend with the standard strip bases.

Nobz 'Command stand wif Warboss and Shaman. The Shaman's hair is Iyanden Darksun with a Gryphonne Sepia wash, probably how my Bad Moonz armor will be painted.

Other good news. Got the remaining Orks I need for my 3k, with the exception of two traktor kannon. If anyone hase some of these to spare pleeeze let me know. Also got some more IG Infantry, and some more GHQ stuff. BMP-3 Chimareas (the BMP-2s didn't do it for me as much as I'd hoped, and will be split apart for the Command and Fire Support platoon of each MIC), and some Sd. Kfz. 350/1s and Sd. Kfz. 351/1s. The Sd. Kfzs. are frome the 'Wehrmacht '47' range, planned replacements for the half-tracked panzergrenadier and recon vehicles (250 and 251). Aside from being cool, I'm not sure what (if anything) I will do with them.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:02 pm

My crazy @#@ brain is on another tangent. It may be a fruitful one, though. I'm considering building foldable boards.

Essentially the concept is to take two 1/4" plywood sheet measuring 2'x4', and build 2x4 frames for them. I would then connect them with door hinges. Surfaces would either be felt (cheap), or Woodland Scenics 'battlemats' (realistic).

If I chose to add latches, it could also carry approx. 8 sq. ft. of terrain up to 8" tall, more than enough for Epic.

Cost to me per 4' square would be between ~$34-$40 depending on covering.

Whatcha think? Suggestions?
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Decided to try my hand at the board. Given my previous carpentry experience (read: I built a Tic-Tac-Toe board in middle school. It had a drawer.) it turned out pretty well. It doesn't quite sit flat, and there is a bit of an overhang (I think that is because the guy @ Home Depot mis-measured), but it's not bad. No pics yet, because my recharger is acting up. Hope to have some tomorrow for Epic Thursday.

I did learn a valuable lesson about 'the right tools for the job', however. My meagre effort took 2 1/2 hours, due to the fact that I had no power drill. I had only a hand screwdriver, and a pin vice with an 1/8" bit for guide holes. If I'd had the proper tool it would have been less than 1 hr. I also suspect it would have turned out better. Not figuring out about the importance of guide holes the hard way would have helped, too.

I know you're out there; I can hear you breathe...
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby angron888 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm

Actually you're hearing me snicker, pin vice for hinge screws :roll:
angron888

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 pm

No, no. It was just for the guide holes thru the hardboard and 2x4s. :oops: Still, more blisters than I would have prefered. :(
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Jerimy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:18 am

Did you make sure to straighten the 2x4 with your adze first.
Oddball: Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. .
Jerimy

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:52 am

You're assuming I have a deeper toolbox than I do. I was able to locate a Philipshead - That's enough of an accomplishment.

It doesn't sit quite flat. If I press down on one corner I have about 1/4" clearance on the other. I also noticed that the hardboard bows up a bit on one end. It's a test peice though. The second should have the teething problems mostly ironed out... hopefully.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Nat, I would talk to John, angron888. He's a carpenter.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby angron888 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Shut up !!! I'm also lazy. 8)
angron888

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:11 am

Yeah.......what's new? :lol:
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:31 pm

I've had this pic for a few days, now, but I figured I'd post it as it does show the strangths and flaws of the board section well.

The left side is where the hardboard bowed up. You can see it on the top edge well. The right side shows how the board doesn't sit quite level.

I've got my new cordless drill charging now, so hopefully I can have a second, less painful, go again this week.

Does anyone know where I can find metal latches, like on a trunk?

Finally, and not strictly Epic related, I was browsing the Warseer rumors on the Spearhead supplement, and there are supposedly several 40k Eldar releases coinciding with it. All plastic Fire Prism, plastic Nightspinner, and plastic Support weapons were mentioned, as well as a plastic EoV in the works, though not for June. If they are true, my wallet will hate me that month. I may not be playing 40k, but I'll still get new pointy eared toys if they come...
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I've got way to many projects going. I'm considering repainting my Eldar. Ive used a Blazing Orange, Hawk Turquoise, and bone scheme on my latest 40k Eldar, and like it lots. This has been painted for a few months; just now showing it off due to this new train of thought. Sorry about the picture quality, that's that happens if you use natural 6pm sunlight.

It is, of course, a Type II.

Top hull is Blazing Orange, lined with Ogryn Flesh, panel outlines in Fiery Orange. Stripes are Hawk Turquoise edged with 50/50 Hawk/Ice Blue. Canopies and Prism are Spacewolves highlighted with 50/50 Space Wolves/Skull White. Hull bottom is Kommando Khaki, washed with Devlan, edged with Kommando again.

You think this is a better scheme than my current one?
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:28 pm

No comments on the proposed repaint? Oh well.

Got 2 companies worth of Gun Emplacements finished. In addition to giving my Baran Arty. (no save LVs) a 4+ cover save, they also make it look dead 'ard.

Just the gun emplacements.

Elements of the 47th Artillery Company emplaced.

The wrong view...

Luckily they're quick paint jobs. Should be able to get to all the roughcoated fortifications but the Bunkers by the end of the week. That's 10 Trenches and 15 Razorwire. 5 Razorwire and 9 Bunkers to build, and 6 more emplacements to roughcoat.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Nat, next time I see you I'll be tossing you the 10 plastic 50mm squares I got at the G+ auction. I decided that the masonite bases I got from GF9 were going to work better for my WFB purposes.
Lordgoober

PreviousNext

Return to Epic: Armageddon