Nat's blog-o-stuff

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Not much new to say. Next up are a Seige Anti-Air Battery and a Light Tank Plt., then the fortifications for what I've done so far.

21st Tank Regiment, 1st Heavy Tank Coy. A Plt.
47th Artillery Regiment, 1st Artilley Coy.

Steel Legion Artillery Coy. A and O Batteries. Comparison shot, not complete.

Nat
Last edited by Spectrar Ghost on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Hooray! I have the models for 2k of Seigemasters painted!

Without further ado, a 2,000pt force composed of elements of the Baran 2nd Infantry Regiment, 21st Tank Regiment, and 47th Artillery Regiment.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.

21st Tank Regiment, 3 Light Tank Coy., A Plt.

47th Artillery Regiment, 7th Anti Aircraft Coy., A Battery.

Actually, I still have a dozen Bruennhildes to paint, but I never use them, so they don't count. Next I have 5 Trenches, 10 Razorwire, 12 Bunkers and 12 Gun Emplacements to paint for a complete 2k force.

Nat
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Much progress. as well as finishing the airbrushing of 7 Companies of SL,
I've almost finished painting two of them entirely.
1st Artillery Company, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd 'O' Batteries.
I cannot say enough about the Armas. Amazing sculpts, minimal cleaning, and it looks like you could actually fit two men abreast inside. The main cannon fit is slightly loose, and requires pinning, but this does not detract from an astounding model.
I will be using the Armas as a 'counts as' battery of Basilisks. :)
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 pm

3rd Tank Company with Tank 101 as a comparison. The 3rd Coy. needs minor detailing to be complete.
Detail shot of a Leman Russ from 3rd Coy.
I did add a thinned down (3:1) coat of Badab Black to my airbrushing, as WMN suggested, and it doe add to the models significantly. Thanks, WMN!

Still on my to do list:
2 Coy. of 'Ragnaruss' (Leman Russ)
1 Coy. of Shadowswords
1 Coy. of Baneblades
1 Coy. of Infantry
10 'counts as' Chimaeras (GHQ BMP-2)

About 90 pieces of Seigemaster entrenchments
2k of Seigemasters.

SG
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Nice. I've finally gotten around to priming all my IG infantry white and I've started working on my IG armor. Hmm. I should see if there's a spray that comes close to matching Enchanted Blue. That would utterly speed up my epic Guard painting.
Lordgoober

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Give in to the lure of Badger... seriously. It took me <2hrs total to basecoat Orkhide shade, add Catachan Green mid tone, and shade with watered down Badab Black for 12 Infantry, 49 AVs, and 6 WEs. It only took two days because I ran out of Orkhide after doing three sides yesterday. Worth every penny I spent on the setup. Every penny.

Nat
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am

Heh, I have to make a run to the post office tomorrow in the morning to send out a bunch of rhinos and land raiders I sold to a guy in Canada (should have odne it today...) so I'll swing by the hobbytown USA near my house and see if I can find said spray that is close to enchanted blue. If there is one that speeds up the painting of the epic stuff for A-Con greatly.
Lordgoober

Bunkers

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm in the process of finishing/priming/painting my Seigemasters Fortifications.

The current style of roof on the bunkers is a .040" sheet with a strip in the front, and .020" triangular braces to hold it on.
My feeling is that this needs revising. I've found it to be fragile, especially the braces, and the strip card I used in the front of the roof doesn't always meet the bottom of the bunker the way I want.

My first instinct was to glue the roof on, but that would make it dofficult to get stands in/out. My second thought was to redesign the roof to have a scored strip of card that went around the perimeter of th roof, holding the bottom half in, instead of out. This, however, would require me to rebuild the bottom to match the roof. After playing around a bit, I decided this was the best option.
Left - original, Center - new, right - gun emplacement.

Does this new style look better?
If so, does it fit in with the other Fortifications?
If not, would it help tie the lot together to have the braces the other Fortifications have?

Thanks for the input.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:58 pm

dude that totally works, don't sweat it.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 pm

You mean the new style, or the old? My only issue is that some of the bunkers are partially (or completely) basecoated already. Slightly harder to rebuild, but probably worth it if they look better.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Thoughts on the little things.

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:57 pm

No pictures today, just some mulling over the game angron888 and I played tonight. My Steel Legion vs. AMTL, and it was a close one. All down to a few activations/rolls of the dice. I won with TNH and BTS, vs. his TNH.

I played a tank heavy list, with 4 Tank Companies with Hydras, two with an extra squadron. Other formations included 2 Sentinel Squadrons (more on these later), an unadorned RHQ, a company of SHadowswords, and acompany of Baneblades. His force consisted of 5 warlords of various configurations, and 2 Forge Knight groups. To put it mildly, my tanks were mauled. Three tank companies were broken by the end of turn 4, with only one relatively unscathed. The Baneblade company spent most of the game broken as well.

What made me pause for thought about this game was the sentinels. 200pts, 4% of my army, held up 3 Warlords and the two Forge Knight units for 3 turns! They also pulled a fourth warhound off one of his objectives, allowing me to take the TNH.

They were deployed as a scout screen across the right (from my perspective) 2/3 of the board. This blocked off all 3 of the Objectives on my side of the board. Admittedly, Angron ignored them for the first two and a half turns of the game, but the sentinels really defined how he could move, and dictated how the endgame played out.

In the end, Angron was forced to move a Warlord contesting an objective on his side of the board to shoot the sentinels out of existence and allow his Forge Knights to double into the area where all the objectives were bunched, taking the TNH. This move allowed the Shadowsword company to hold the two IG objectives on his side of the board, again taking the TNH. In addition to the TNH, Angron wanted to destroy the last Leman Russ in one of my BTS to gain that, tying up the count. He would have won on points. He failed.

In the end, the luck of that single tank, now broken, won me the game. But the Sentinel Squadrons, standing down their big, big, BIG brothers, allowed it to be won. And to think I almost didn't take them!
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:52 am

Yes the sentinals are the best 100 pts spent. I have always used them as a screen at set up. And yes with 2 of them you can screen most of the board. Wonderful little guys. Love them.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Spudds and Pestles

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:44 pm

I got a request on Thursday to see what the Spudds and Pestles looked like. I forgot to bring the two I had assembled in before I left. Fortunately, I now have all 13 finished. One Spudd is currently awaiting deployment with the 5th Company D Platoon, replacing a Rapier that was lost in action. The others are awaiting mustering of 6th and 7th Companies for their respective D platoons.

Pestles with elements of 2nd Company for scale.
Spudds with elements of 2nd Company for scale.

As with the Armas, I found the barrels best pinned in place, but there was minimal flash (just some strings from exit ports) and very little cleaning required. The round base of the Pestle attaches to the sprue, so minimal reshaping is required after removal. Great little guns, much approve.

Addendum: do the pictures look better on the Battlemat (I've had it for ages and never used it) than on the MDF?
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Quick 2nd update. Most of 2 Companies Defense Lines basecoated. Need to rebuild 4 more Bunkers, but I'm low on .040" x .250" strips. Should get more tomorrow.

Front View

Side View

Need to touch up the undercoat in spots, but they'll be quick paints. THen on to the next 2k... sigh. I've got so much unpainted stuff. It never seems to end. :?
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:51 pm

In the process of restocking my Plasticard today, I happened apon the Italeri 1:72 Pz IV Ausf E fast build kit.
I've been looking for a base for Ordinatii, and thought these might be suitable for Majoris. The hulls are about 85mm long, a bit (OK, a lot) larger than the DC4 would imply, but look like they might work to mount some JL or E&C Weapons in the turret. Alternatively, I could take the hull only, as it has a nice sillohuete (sp?) and scratchbuild a Ferdinand/Elefant-style superstructure. The surface detail that betrays scale (cables, hatches, tools) has been removed from one, and resurfaced with .010" card. No pics yet.

Thoughts?
SG

Spectrar Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Epic: Armageddon