Nat's blog-o-stuff

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Since orks love to race buggies when they're not fighting, think "race track".
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Still not sure how to achieve the racetrack feel while keeping the bases a reasonable size. maybe we can talk Sat between games. However, I've gotten the "macro" paintwork done on the 4 buildings I have. Done some of the detail work, too.

This is a Roughcoat undercaot, while not worrying about complete coverage (it's just for the texture), followed by a full airbrushed undercoat of Snakebite Leather (at 30psi).

This was followed by a very rough coat of Desert Yellow at 20psi, with the throttle (needle) all the way open, so the paint droplets start to coalesce before they hit the model. The final part of the overall paintjob was to do a drybrush of Bleached Bone, to bring out the edges and texture.

The detal work will start with painting the inside of all the windows and doors Undercoat Black (the Foundation paint), and to paint all the trim. The trim will be Blood Red, Snot Green, or Regal Blue, depending on the building. I will then weather the trim a small amount by painting a thin line of Ogryn Flesh around the perimeter of the window, and using light streaks down from it.

This is what happens when you don't know when to stop weathering, but the other windows on the side are better and more representative of what I was trying to do. They will get over their depression with counceling, I'm told.

The Metal was a basecoat of Tin Bitz, with a drybrush of Boltgun Metal, and some details picked out in chainmail. I hope to get at least some more done by Saturday.
Spectrar Ghost

Postby angron888 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Those look awesome!!! Man do I need an airbrush.
angron888

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:15 pm

I agree, they're great!
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:48 pm

All right, I've finally lost it. Kustom epic bases.
I didn't like the way my Nobz were crowded on a 40mmx12mm 5 man base, so I made some 40x12 4 man bases. .040" sheet, a standard hole punch, and a 1/4" drill bit to clean up the holes. Then I wanted to get a Shokk Attack Gun and 2 Lootaz on a 20x20 base, so I did those too. THe Traktor Kannon are on a 20x20 that has no holes. I'm still not sure how to do the Warbike bases, but I'll get there. I do like how the infantry horde Orks are coming though.
This is one of the 3 'shooty' Big Warbands in the army I'm planning. there are also 2 Big Warbands w/ no upgrades, a Big KoS made of Warbikes, and a Stormboyz Warhorde. I'm thinking of doing a mix of Klans for the paint scheme, so we'll see how that turns out.

Nat
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 am

I could easily see warbikes going on either 40x15s or 40x20s really nicely 3 to a base OR you could do 20x20 with 2 per base.
Lordgoober

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 am

Nat you are going to want to mechanize your warbands. Footy orks just don't cut it in Epic. Yeah you can garrison them, but their mobility is severely limited and smart placement of the objective markers by your opponent could render those formations ineffective.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 am

I've got my reservations a la mobility as well, but I'm going to give it a shot, for two reasons. First, I wanted to collect an army with a different feel to the Tanky Armies of Death I'm more accustomed to collecting (in Epic and 40k) and go with a foot slogger army. Even my Baran are in what amount to stationary tanks. Second, plastic is far less expensive to collect than the metals that are current in the vehicle range. Sure, I can go the ebay/BT route, but in my current situation, this makes the most sense financially.

If/when I determine I really can't make this concept viable, I can then get transport for my already built army, and shuffle the Big Gunz into their own formation(s). This would bring a 3k army up to near 5k, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Oi, dat guy jus' snikked two flitty tings wit' one rok! Dat's amazing! He mus' got sum super-know-wots of ballistiks or sumfing!

Nat
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:Since orks love to race buggies when they're not fighting, think "race track".

I've been pondering this as I paint the Orkitecture.

If I add a track or road to some of the bases, I could make a modular sort of track through the settlement. On 20cm x 20cm bases, one would need a curve, a straightaway, and a block of buildings for the interior of the settlement.

The curve would help break up the inevitable grid that develops in a modular system by having the abutting buildings at an angle. The other technique I plan on using is to have the buildings oriented so their 25mm and 40mm sides are not aligned. Streets would be straight, just not very long.

Track outside of the perimeter of the settlement would have to be 'virtual'. I tried to get a workable setup with the track running down one side of the base, to enable a track around the entire settlement. However, when inside curves are factored in, the setup gets too messy unless you add in 90 degree turns with an unreasonably small radius. Parhaps I could just model a bunch of bikes and buggies crashed through the nearest buildings wall...

The question is, aside from the coolness factor, which I'm not ignoring, would this have any advantages compared to blocks of buildings arranged to have a 'virtual racetrack' running around/through them?

Comments on this long-winde ramble would be appreciated.
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Finished the four buildings, except for the base. I still need to buy a blade for my jigsaw, and find the time to cut a base out.

Here is a closeup of the Sunz' Hut showing a better view of the weathering.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, with the exceptions that I still struggle to get the weathering consistant and realistic, and the couple measuring mishaps I suffered. One should come with practice, one I've corrected in my parts lists. (I know, I know, what self-respectin' Orkitect needs sumfing as humie as a parts list?)

Well, on to more cuttin' and billdin. I's gonna have a city in no time! Well, unless da beakies comes tru an' busts it up... or dose skellies wat don't seem to werk rite... or dose panzee "u messed up my hair" pointy-ears... or dose odder humies what wit dose big wagonz dat goes 'boom'... I's gonna have a city some time, anyhow.
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Lissen up, ya gitz! 'Eres wotz new!

Two hutz into the second batch. I've done a 'Block 2' Guard Barracks, as well. Neither of these have doors or wondow's added yet however. I have a Mek Garage underway, as well.

A detail shot of the 2 story hut, showing the .040"x.080" strip I used to cover a mismeasurement. Not much different from the first batch, except instead of Grandt Line bolts, I used the IA: Masterclass water filter method.

A couple of closeups of the Mek's Garage. Several things to note here. The garage has the same dimensions as the larger hutz in the first batch (83mm x 53mm overall). It is 1 story in the rear, and two stories in the front (13mm and 23mm respectively). As I am planning on painting it to match the metal brace in the first batch, I've decided to distress the edges. I did this by randomly draging a triangular needle file across the edges. I tried scribing panel lines on the roof, and it sucked. So it was covered with a piece of tile card I had hanging around. I added a few patches in various places, again distressing the edges. This was given an all-over water filter rivet treatment, being metal construction.

I'm not satisfied with the gaps in the framing around the rolling doors, probably going to add a couple short strips to look like they are held together that way.

Do I need more patches? More rivets? Do you like the effect of the distressing?

Eventually the 1 story hut will probably be the 'offis' to the garage, at the front right of a fenced compound, while the garage sits at the rear left. I've got some ideas for adding scrap piles and buggies to the lot, but that, of course will have to wait until I get the bases cut out...

Nat
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Orkitecture Update, Seigemasters

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Just sum piks of da new stuffz.

Group Shot

Pick of 2nd batch (WIP) and Mek Shop

2 Pics of Hut with 'porthole' windows. C&C?
Also, my love of the Seigemasters was renewed last night about the time I finished garrisoning.

I may have lost as the Marines spiked my left flank, but the (4k) game was a blast. I lost both Shadowswords to crtis, but had a 6 stands of Siege Infantry beat a 4 stand Assault squad in engage, and a single broken Ragnarok shrug off the fire of two bike stands, which were obliterated by supporting fire.

Thoughts on the game:

Passing through the Ork villiage with my lines was a mistake. I had one bunker behind a building, so the LOS was severely restricted.

I should have wrapped my lines back to the baseline on both sides to avoid the flanking maneuver that took me out.

I forgot to leave gates in my lines, forcing my Rags to opposite ends of the board. Mistake.

I commited my Seigfreids too soon. They were broken, and did not allow me to contest the blitz as I had planned.

I need to finish my bunkers. 3+ cover save! :twisted:

I really need to make my Seige Coys. more identifiable from each other. I had a horrible time setting them up, as the single line of fortifications made the divisions difficult to spot. I may paint the backs of the bases a squad color.

On a related note - I finally found the seigfreid I was missing, bringing me to 3 Platoons including the ones I got last night. Thanks Lordgoober! I was in a bag with a Gotterdammerung Battery I had forgotten I had and a full set of Rapiers and Thudds I thought I'd lost. I should be able to bring this army up to nearly 5k soon...
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Got out the paints and finished my RHQ.
As you can see, half of the bases are sanded, half are not. Going forward I'm not going to sand them, 'cause I'm a lazy git. The flash makes the sanded ones look much muddier than they do IRL.
One of the problems I had last night was during setup. I didn't leavr gaps between Coy. lines, and got REALLY messed up as to where the divisions were. So I added color coded lines to the back of each stand. I figure I can just work my way through the foundations in order, and I'll have enough colors to accomodate if I ever get filthy rich.

Nat
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:49 pm

My Seigemasters - the painted ones - are finally starting to look like an army.

2 Coy. (Front L), 1 Coy. (Front R), 1 Hvy. Tank Plt. Section 1 (Rear)

Completed 2 (Orange) Coy.

I have a few trench sections complete, too.
A portion of 1 Coy. mans a defence line.

At this rate, I should have it all done for the big game. I have 4k ready, could have 5k if I get some more IG infantry. One thing to note is I debased all my Seigemasters to save storage room. I had a full case before, I have a layer and a half empty now. My Steel Legion was also repacked, though they had no bases to begin with. That's $100 I can spend on minis (or possibly food) instead of army cases.

Nat
Last edited by Spectrar Ghost on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 am

That looks awesome. I have never seen a seigemasters army. You are doing ing justice. Just love it. As for the 100 bucks, food overrated anyways. I cant wait to see it in the flesh. I think youd give my stell legion a run for its money.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

PreviousNext

Return to Epic: Armageddon