Nat's blog-o-stuff

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

Re: Nat's blog-o-stuff

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 am

Well, I bit the bullet and got some cheap trees from ebay for this. We'll see what the quality's like. At $12 for 50 trees including shipping from China, it seemed like a good deal
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm

I'd be interested to hear some feedback on this. Would these work for a demo table?

I've seen several people using these tiles for DZC, and they seemed like a good idea. And at $11.50 for the PDFs they're cheap, too. They're "Mayhem Streets of Legend" from WorldWorksGames - the same company that makes the Malifaux Terrain. They're basically a cardstock wrap around 3/16" foamcore, with slots for connectors. There's some other neat stuff like the ability to do multilevel layouts - they have all the abilites the Terraclips stuff does. Unfortunately the 3" level height and 1" rail height largely preclude the use of these for DZC because of the scale. 5m rails and 15m underpasses just wouldn't work.

I'm thinking of using these four tiles (6"x6" concrete pad, T-intersection, 6" straight road, and 6"x6" helipad) primarily, and adding some greenspaces by gluing the Woodland Scenics grass mats over some tiles and adding trees. Also sort of visible is the way the wall facing the camera is backed with transparency film; you can see the reflection from the flash on the ground. It's just taped right now - I'm still debating how to paint it.

Finally I'm considering the best way to make areas of rubble to replace leveled buildings, so if you have any suggestions let me know. Current best guess is foamcore covered by aquarium gravel and sand with bits of paperclip 'rebar', but that could change. I'm somewhat concerned it would leave a rubble field with too many soft edges.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:47 am

Looks good. A good way to start on a demo table. How big a table are you shooting for?

A little sparse maybe. The pictures on the website and rulebook show a more packed urban terrain. I'm still reading the rules so I dont know if that is a bad thing or not. The building liiks good on those squares, if a bit lonely. Lol.

As for the ruined building, not sure. Your descripion sounds like it should work. Would like to see a sample before passing final judgement. Im not sure what you mean by "soft edges". I thought the company you got the buildings from did ruined buildings also, My buildings are in foamcore and I thought he did the same style that are ruined. Maybe just misremembering, been awhile since I looked.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 am

The building density on the HWG site is a bit OTT. 20-24 on a 4'x4' board should be fine.

This is a more reasonable density, IMO. As for getting ruined buildings from Gamecraft, let's just say this project is costing more than I expected and leave it at that...
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:10 am

Dont they all. :D :D . That table looks reasonable. I guess I had a hard time picturing it on a 4x4. I still see it a bit sparse but definatly playable. Nothing that says "look at that lonely little building on a field of grey". Knowing your skills it will work just fine and look very good.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

slartibartfast

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Spectrar Ghost wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and got some cheap trees from ebay for this. We'll see what the quality's like. At $12 for 50 trees including shipping from China, it seemed like a good deal

These just arrived. They're far nicer than I expected. Especially for $0.24 a tree including shipping ($0.04 each without shipping). Sorry for the crappy photo - I'm in between cameras right now, though I expect this to resolve itself at the end of the month.

Seller name is thesytlehome.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Table progress: 30/74 Tiles complete. Need 6 more buildings.

#11 blades consumed so far: 5+.

Anyway, Here's a few views of the table layout taken with a crappy iPad camera. This is one of the reasons updates are sparse right now: no ability to take decent photos.

Stuff that's not obvious:
The road on the east side of the board will be elevated - level with the top of the ramp. The blank area in front of the park will be a second Helipad, and there will be a second ramp and another park opposite the existing one. Other blank areas will be buildings.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:41 am

Update: All but two models primed. I've finished painting all the basic PHR infantry and one stand of the PHR exotic infantry. Hope to get some airbrushing done today; we'll see.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Time for a real update! New camera, so forgive the photo quality in places - I'm still getting used to it.

Both near-finished condors together. The latest is on the left - I think the newer exhausts look better. I still need to add some identification numerals to them so I can tell them apart in-game.

The Kodiak ACV has had it's radar completed. Too bad the photo sucks.

The first of my tanks - this one's a Rapier AA Tank.

I also finished my UCM Immortals and got a stand of Sirens finished. Gives a good idea of the color sheme I'll be using - light grey-blue with neutral grey.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby slartibartfast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:01 am

Looking nice. Inching me closer towards getting some figures. Cant wait to see them "in the flesh" so to speak.
Anonymous

slartibartfast

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:18 pm

http://www.darkspacecorp.com/

Looks interesting, if the KS campaign can get it off the ground. Anything by Priestly should be fun.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 pm

http://www.onslaughtmini.com/

For those who are interested, the first wave of releases is up. Some sort of insectile bioconstructs. Probably of no use to any one.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello? Anyone home?

I guess I might as well check in and talk to the wall for a bit. I hear it's therapeutic.

Onslaught Miniatures has released three waves now, and the sixth is being designed.

Wave one was, as mentioned, the legion, a type of space bugs.
Wave two was legion/terran hybrids.
Wave three was the Okumi Technocracy Combine infantry and rigs (mecha).
Wave four will be the Avians, a barbaric race of bird things.
Wave five will be OTC Armor.
Wave six will include the sisterhood, a human female warrior faction, and the stygians, an evil space elf faction.

Anyhow, I got some of the wave three stuff and it is excellent. I've managed to paint up a few stands of rigs and infantry so far.

Can't wait for the armor; it looks like it's gonna rock from the prototypes I've seen.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Previous

Return to Epic: Armageddon