Fantasy Help: Spears vs. Halbreds vs. hand weapon & shie

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable Warhammer army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Fantasy Help: Spears vs. Halbreds vs. hand weapon & shie

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Guys - just trying to get back into fantasy and I need some help. I'm making an over generic statement but as I'm equipping "standard" troops (think either skeletons for TK or VC) or empire what is the best way to go with blocks?

It seems like standard hand weapon & shield is the best. The parry save seems pretty sweet. Any advantages of giving up the save and getting another rank of attacks?

Thanks,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Any advantage to the switch? Not really.

Getting the extra save has often meant so much more than an extra 5 (or rank of) attacks. On average, (for TK, VC, and Empire) those extra attacks will cause an extra wound or two on T3 enemies...less on anything tougher. At least with the sword/shield they'll always get a save in CC (and they usually don't get any).

Plus, it's cheaper to just retain the sword and board in some armies, like VC. If you want lots of dudes in the unit, you could always make it a horde and get both the extra attack and the ward save.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby RichN » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm of the opposite opinion - 8th ed is all about killing stuff. Buy the weapon with the greatest offensive out put. A 6+ save will no do much - with the new step up rules, a new figure will immediately replace the casualty.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Perhaps...but a WS2, S3 spear really isn't going to do a whole lot, even en mass. It's especially bad for Undead since they crumble, and every effort to preserve is a better buy, to me.

With my VC and TK, as I also play both of them, I'm always wishing for better saves as the skeletons aren't really there to kill anything; they're just there to plug gaps and provide a safe bus to deliver a choppy character.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'm specifically looking at TK. The 6+ parry save in theory seems nice. I guess unless I'm running the crazy 10 wide formation, then spears seem to be a little more compelling.

For units like Tomb Guard, what are the thoughts on halbreds vs. sword/shield?

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Since they actually have offensive ability (unlike skeletons), the halberd is probably a bit more worthwhile, especially if you join a prince or king to the unit for a high WS.

I suggest putting forth help/concern questions here: http://www.khemri.co.nr/ as well; they can be a little more helpful as far as Tomb Kings go.
seahawk

Return to Tactics (WFB)