Changes in 7th

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Changes in 7th

Postby swampthing » Tue May 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Weve all been made aware of the major changes to the 7th edition such as the psychic phase and Army organizations, but after having perused the rules today, Ive notice various subtle changes to wording on several occasions which i think will affect the way game is played, not in a dramatic fashion, but just enough to make a difference.

So I thought , for the betterment of our gaming community, I'd start a thread where people can document these changes
as they read through the 7th ed rules and it can serve as a reference for all of us.

ill go first....

Whereas Line of sight was all powerfull in the 6th edition. In the 7th, the phrase "..regardless of whether or not they are 25% obscured" is making a frequent appearance in the terrain section. This may alter what weve been acustomed to calling a cover save in certain terrains.
swampthing

Re: Changes in 7th

Postby cjputrich » Tue May 27, 2014 5:39 pm

I couldn't find a specific reference to area terrain like there was in 6th so I feel like that's part of the reasoning behind their phrasing you pointed out.

I don't have my Rulebook with me right but two things that stood out to me was vector strike being AP2 and I'm pretty sure it is now D3 vs D3 + 1 although I may be off on the hits aspect.

Also, not really a change since it was in the FAQ but the shooting was clarified where you cannot wound models outside of the weapons max range. For instance, if there are 4 wounds left in the wound pool but the only models left are outside of the max range of your weapons, you lose these wounds. Again, not technically new but I don't feel like that was talked about very much after it was FAQ'd.

I also feel like look out sir changes but I'll have to go back and look if no one else beats me to it.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby seahawk » Thu May 29, 2014 10:21 am

Oops, posted these elsewhere, but this is the big list:

1. TLoS is now body (head, torso, arms, legs) to body, instead of eyes to body. The arm through the window now counts.
2. Bases and moving. "No part of the base can finish the move more than 6" away...". Stops the oval base spinning shenanigans.
3. Apocalyptic Barrage uses the green clover template; Apoc blast uses the green plate template. The blues are only for Apocalypse.
4. Vertical coherency is base to base, and 6" instead of 3".
5. All psychic powers require LoS. (I think this is old though)
6. The only psychic power allowed while embarked is witchfire.
7. You choose a weapon to fire with, allocate their wounds, then choose another weapon.
8. If two models are equidistant, the owner decides instead of randomizing.
9. Going to ground is after wounds now, not hits.
10. FMC's that change flight mode can't assault that turn.
11. Grounding tests are after wounds, and only one per phase.
12. Chariots cannot get immobilized.
13. Flyers might crash after receiving an immobilized result, and locked velocity is gone.
14. A vehicle is WS1 regardless of whether it moves or not. Immobilized vehicles are still WS0.
15. Transported units can take a Ld test to ignore Shaken, Stunned, Weapon Destroyed, and Immobilized affects on themselves.
16. Units in flyers that are destroyed and suffer wounds from the crash are randomly hurt, instead of chosen to die.
17. Chariots that take hits distribute them between the ride and the chariot.
18. Chariots charge like bikes.
19. Chariots that fail DT only suffer a HP.
20. Chariot riders gain Relentless.
21. Walkers can overwatch, and even do it if they're not in the fire arc (except immobilized).
22. Immobilized walkers are struck on rear armor in CC.
23. Walkers have Hammer of Wrath.
24. Tank shock strength is now half of armor value + mass or excessive mass.
25. Dozer blades add +1 AV for ramming.
26. Excess wounds from challenges are allocated to the next nearest models in the unit.
27. Excess wounds from the combat are allocated against models in the challenge.
28. Moral support (having 5+ models sitting around) is gone.
29. All "difficult terrain" provides a 5+ cover save.
30. Models in ruins don't need to be obscured, and receive a 4+ cover save.
31. Buildings now have hull points.
32. "Leaping Off" is gone.
33. Battlements are not Difficult Terrain, except for flying units.
34. Choosing your army...it's all different.
35. Warlord Traits all changed.
36. ATSKNF doesn't get the 3" move when rallying.
37. Blind tests at the end of the phase, and it's only one test per phase.
38. Barrage weapons can fire directly like a normal weapon at targets within the minimum range.
39. Counterattack does not require a Ld test.
40. You now get cover and inv saves vs destroyer weapons, except on a 6.
41. No FNP vs Destroyer weapons.
42. Independent Characters can join units that consist of one model, but not vehicles or MC's.
43. Jink is now a 4+, but isn't automatic for units like skimmers and bikes.
44. Move Through Cover means you're not slowed by DT when charging, and autopasses Dangerous Terrain.
45. Precision Shots is now a USR that works.
46. Skilled Rider gives +1 to cover saves.
47. Skyfire weapons always shoot ground targets on Snap Shots.
48. Smash is now 1 attack.
49. Snipers are now S4 vs vehicles, but don't rend.
50. Split Fire does not require a Ld test.
51. Template weappons that hit an open-topped vehicle hit the transported unit.
52. Vector Strike is only 1 attack, at AP2.
53. If you Infiltrate, you cannot charge on the first turn, whether you go first or second now.
54. Deployment is now entirely one roll: the winner chooses to deploy first or not, and the person who deployed first gets to choose to go first or not.
55. Fortifications are now deployed as another unit in the army.
56. Scoring units are any unit except Swooping FMC/Zooming Flyers, falling back units, has rules that say it doesn't, and unclaimed buildings. (swarms and buildings are scoring units!)
57. Grav wave generator subtracts 2 from the charge distance.
58. Night Fighting is Stealth for everyone all the time.
59. Either player may choose that Night Fighting is wanted: on a 4+, it happens on the 1st turn. (no last turn)
60. Units in transports and buildings are on the table and can capture objectives.
61. Charging through cover is only -2 on the dice.
62. Deep-striking vehicles count as moving at combat speed instead of cruising speed.
63. There are no levels anymore, mainly for ruins. A blast that hits the top floor thus hits EVERY FLOOR under it.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby swampthing » Thu May 29, 2014 3:07 pm

wow, im impressed Mr. Hawk. did you determine these all by yourself? anyway, thanks!

now we can maybe concentrate on the tactical significance of these changes....
swampthing

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu May 29, 2014 3:49 pm

nice list!
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 am

Yea, I put it together after reading the book cover to cover. Definitely missed a few things though, hidden gems that change the way things work in a subtle way.

These are the most obvious though. Hopefully helps!
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby tulkasulmar » Fri May 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Corrected ICs still get the 2+ Look Out Sir.
Last edited by tulkasulmar on Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby cjputrich » Fri May 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Also...not a rule in the new book but all of the Codex FAQ's were updated.

As a CSM player, it is a dark day for Heldrakes. I mean sure, we can bring an unbound army full of them (I personally think that's silly), but they no longer have 360* LOS/firing arc. It's now treated as a turret mounted weapon. Don't get me wrong, Baleflamer is still a great weapon and I suppose with the pivot of the torrent it may not be quite as narrow as the cannon. Just kind of ridiculous to limit the one awesome thing CSM have going for them when there are seemingly much bigger fish to fry.

I haven't had a chance to look at the other FAQ's - anything else interesting change there?
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby seahawk » Sat May 31, 2014 1:28 am

To be fair, it isn't so much a nerf as it is return to actually playing by the rules when it was first released. *shrug* There are many good things in the CSM book, other than the assblaster.
seahawk

Postby Nightspawn » Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 pm

I've read the FAQ, how did the Heldrake get nerfed?
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Postby seahawk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 am

They reverted the gun to its original status of hull mounted. Vector strike has been reduced as well, though for the heldrake it's still good vs flyers.
seahawk

Postby Nightspawn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:11 pm

I have read the FAQ and it says ranged weapons are hull mounted and to use them with the arc. The Baleflamer is a template weapon, not a ranged weapon and wouldn't follow the front arc restriction. Although the flamer would still have to be used from the mouth of the drake .

Vector strike has changed to one attack against most things but still does 1d3 against SFMC and zooming flyers.
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Postby tulkasulmar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Bale Flamer is a Ranged Weapon, Torrent rules states range of 12".
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)