Knight Paladin question

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Knight Paladin question

Postby swampthing » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:00 pm

with its ability to fire its three weapons each at different targets, and assault after shooting even its ordnance weapons, would one of those weapons be forced to shoot at the intended assault target. ( I would assume so, just making sure)
that would explain the heavy stubber :roll:

also, can the Stomp attack be used to "snipe" enemy characters/ special weapons?

thnks for your opinions
swampthing

Re: Knight Paladin question

Postby seahawk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Yep, it looks like it still has to shoot one weapon at the unit it wants to charge. Since it's not mentioned otherwise, and because they follow the rules for walkers, which follow the rules for infantry, which say "charge what you shot", I'd go with that.

And yes, Stomps can "snipe" certain models, as it says: "Each model... that is even partially under the blast marker is removed from play."
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Bigdoza » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:04 pm

I agree with this. However it still is only remove from play on a 6. Could look out sir still for the other results.

I like the idea of chaining stomps over to another unrelated combat to peel guys off your weaker unit yet to fight this phase.

I was wondering how knights handle difficult terrain.

"Super heavy walkers can move 12" in the Movement phase unless specified otherwise. Apart from this, they obey the movement rules for Walkers."

So they only get 1-6" movement through terrain?

Some quake weapons could ruin their day.
Bigdoza

Postby seahawk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:13 am

Yep. Big mechanical monstrosity, dainty footsteps in DT. At least they have Move Through Cover?
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Rhysk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Good Afternoon:

These are statements from the most recent copy of the Adepticon FAQ that address many of the questions on this thread. The document in its entirety can be found here: http://www.adepticon.org/14rules/40KAddendumv2014.pdf

When a super‐heavy walker/gargantuan creature 
moves through difficult terrain in the movement 
phase roll for difficult terrain as normal, but double 
the highest result rolled to determine how far they’re 
allowed to move. 

 The strikedown ability that super‐heavy walkers & 
gargantuan creatures have applies to any stomp and 
close combat attacks the model makes, but not to its 
hammer of wrath attacks. 

 Models which are not locked in the same combat as a 
super‐heavy walker/gargantuan creature that are 
covered by any of its stomp blast markers are 
completely ignored (and therefore cannot be hurt by 
the stomp). Note that it is perfectly permissible to 
stomp on friendly units that are locked in the combat. 

 Casualties caused by stomp attack wounds follow the 
normal rules for close combat casualty removal 
(starting with enemy models in base contact with the 
super‐heavy vehicle/gargantuan creature first, etc). 
However any ‘overrun’ result rolled affects the 
specific models underneath that particular stomp 
blast. 

 When a vehicle scatters due to a ‘flipped’ stomp 
result, reduce this scatter as necessary to prevent the 
vehicle from ending up on top of a friendly model, in 
impassable terrain or within 1” of an enemy model (if 
possible). 
Rhysk

Postby seahawk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Just as a note, all of those except the Strikedown one are rules changes that you'll only find at Adepticon. In games anywhere else, it's:

- 3D6 moving through terrain, take the highest one.
- Units not in the combat can be stomped.
- All casualties from stomps are from under the template.
- A flipped vehicle can go anywhere and explode.

I liked it better in previous years when it listed things as "rules changes" and "rules clarifications". ;)
seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 am

seahawk wrote:Just as a note, all of those except the Strikedown one are rules changes that you'll only find at Adepticon. In games anywhere else, it's:

- 3D6 moving through terrain, take the highest one.
- Units not in the combat can be stomped.
- All casualties from stomps are from under the template.
- A flipped vehicle can go anywhere and explode.

I liked it better in previous years when it listed things as "rules changes" and "rules clarifications". ;)

I'd argue that there is some vague rule writing and oversite by GW on the knight titan rules. How are you definitively saying anywhere outside of Adepticon this is how things will be ruled? I would guess we'll see an FAQ from GW in the near future so we should get some clarity.

To be clear, in the AWC tournaments, we follow the adepticon ruling... so right there this is what we'll be following.
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:02 am

I certainly hope GW gets back on the FAQ train and does something useful with their messed up sets!

How are you definitively saying anywhere outside of Adepticon this is how things will be ruled?
Simply following the RAW. The AFAQ is not the end-all-be-all, and often includes things that others disagree with, especially when rules are clearly stated as otherwise.

1. Super heavy walkers move 12", but otherwise follow the rules for walkers. Walkers follow the rules for infantry. Infantry moving through difficult terrain roll 2D6 and pick the highest, or 3D6 with Move Through Cover. Change.

2. The Stomp placement's only limitation is that they must be within 3" of the previous marker; who they touch and where they touch is otherwise unlimited. Models underneath are never just "ignored". Change.

3. Both effects from the Stomp attacks say specifically that the models under the template are who suffers, overriding the normal wound allocation process. Change.

4. Nothing in any rules are actually stopping a flipped vehicle from going into models and exploding, though an argument can be made for the 1" rule. Change/Clarification.

I understand that the AWC will follow this FAQ; I'm merely expressing that the same rulings should not be expected everywhere else, just so that superheavy players will go in with both eyes open and not be surprised when they can't/can do things different in different places.
seahawk

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)