Skyshield Hypothetical

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Skyshield Hypothetical

Postby swampthing » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Everyone knows that the skyshield landing pad gives you a 4++ against shooting attacks.

Would it be totally whacked to presume that it also gives a 4+ cover save?

why in the world would you want that? consider a situation in which you have nightfight, having a cover save could potentially give you a 2+ versus shooting in situations where an invol is not needed.

Though the S.S. is technically classified as "unique Terrain", it is also considered a fortification. also, the models behind a furled S.S. typically qualify for the 25% obscured rule.

Have at it Muchachos. :twisted:
swampthing

Re: Skyshield Hypothetical

Postby tulkasulmar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm

I've only used the Skyshield a few times, and have only used the 4++ save on all shooting.

Though, I can see the Skyshield giving a 4+ Cover Save and be increased to 2+ Cover save due to Night Fight or units with Shrouded/Stealth.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm

I would think it would give a 4+ cover save in addition to the invulnerable save. However the cover save would only come from obscuring 25% of the model while the invulnerable save comes from just being on top. In this way a Wraithknight would get the invulnerable save on top, but not the cover save.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 am

Is the Skyshield Pad a 'Purpose Built Fortification'? If so, then wouldn't it offer a 3+ cover save? If not, then what stuff counts as 'purpose built fortifications'?

Nobody ever uses that or any buildings down here, at least not yet.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Born2Lose » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:56 pm

So on an interesting note if played RAW pg115 "Terrain Type: Unique. The top surface of the Skyshield Landing Pad is open terrain."

Reading this would lead me to believe that furled or unfurled the top of it provides no cover save whatsoever. The only part the book leaves open for discussion is the lower part of it. Now I don't necessarily agree with this ruling perhaps house rules are in order but as the book states it its open terrain.
Born2Lose

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm

I think with the walls up however those would obscure models on top, so potentially providing cover, because of the true LOS. But if some Assault Marines jump up onto the Pad and shoot before assaulting, then no cover, but they'd get the invul save. The 'open terrain' is there probably just so dudes don't have walk across it by rolling Difficult Terrain for it, and for Dangerous checks when Deepstriking onto it.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I dont have too much to add and am derailing the thread a bit.......but a nice trick with skysheids is Mark of Tzeentch marines/havocs/oblits on a skysheild giving them a 3+ invul.

To me the skysheild would provide cover with the walls "up" as it is truew line of sight. Thats just my opinion though, and my opinion and how things get ruled dont always mesh.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 pm

That 3+ invulnerable is much more desirable with Heldrakes flying around.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)