The Tau squad leaders/characters

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

The Tau squad leaders/characters

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 am

OK we had our championship tournament and I went and took a second look at the Tau while looking at filling the hole in my army. I found another issue and I wanted it addressed before Adepticon.

The Tau rank structure:

Shas'la = troop
Shas'ui = sergeant (noted as Team Leader only in Codex)
Shas'vre = veteran sergeant
Shas'O/Shas'el = Independent Character

I ask this because then I played my crisis suits wrong as ALL crisis suits are sergeants or better? I read through the book the past 2 nights to get my head around the Tau rank structure. As the Shas'la are basic troops and are lead by a Shas'ui team leader (sergeant). That team leader (sergeant)can earn a right to become a Crisis Suit user (still a sergeant) and obtaining a higher position led by a Shas'vre (veteran sergeant). So you would have 3 special characters that all get to use the special rule of 6+ on a roll to hit to target a specific model. I saw this in the dark angels codex where they have sergeants led by a veteran sergeant in a 3 man bike squad.

So for example I have a 3 man crisis unit that targets a 10 man unit of space marines that has a sergeant and 2 special weapons with 3 twin linked plasma Rifles. I am within 12" and rapid fire and roll (3) 6s and (3) 3+ other hits and wound on all. I could therefore target the 2 special weapon models in the unit and the sergeant (who gets a look out sir roll) and effectively remove your 2 dangerous weapons guys and possibly the sergeant while taking 3 of the front. Is this a correct?
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Re: The Tau squad leaders/characters

Postby seahawk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am

You're conflating way too many terms and making things confusing. Just flip through Appendix 2 REFERENCE section in the BRB.

Characters:
Crisis Shas'el
Crisis Shas'o
Crisis Shas'vre
Broadside Shas'vre
Fire Warrior Shas'ui
Pathfinder Shas'ui
Stealth Shas'vre

Not Characters:
Crisis Shas'ui
Broadside Shas'ui
Fire Warrior Shas'la
Pathfinder Shas'la
Stealth Shas'ui

Your example is incorrect. Only the Character(s) in the unit can make Precision Shots.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Re: The Tau squad leaders/characters

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

I found the notes on changing their unit type designation otherwise they would all be able to use precision shot. You forgot the Team Leader upgrade (5 point upgrade), as they too are characters. Thanks for directing my eyes to the right information. :D
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)