Eldar Walrock and Warlock powers question

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Eldar Walrock and Warlock powers question

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 pm

OK the first quest deals with the Conceal spell. If a warlock is in a Transport would not the transport benifit from the 5+ cover save? I ask this because it would save the use of Jink (5+ cover save) and losing your shooting attack on your next turn.

Second question is Warlocks are used as sergeants/team leader for several eldar troop units. Does this make them a sergeant/team leader type only when in these units or are all warlocks considered sergeants/team leader? I ask this because the sergeant/team leader type and independant characters get to designate who they want to target and if they roll the 6 to shoot or hit. Would a warlock (who are a sub HQ unit and is considered sergeant/team leader) get to use that 6 to hit in a unit of them and all get to target the specific char and make him roll a whole mess of look out sirs?
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Re: Eldar Walrock and Warlock powers question

Postby Chubs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:58 pm

If a warlock is in a Transport would not the transport benifit from the 5+ cover save?

No,only the warlock's whole squad.

As for number two...ugh... :|

Right now, Warlocks are 'Charaters' and as such can make precision attacks. Neither GW nor the Adepticon Rules Addendum have re classed thier unit type. I would expect them to be made in line with Nobs/Wolf Guard/ Nob warbikes,Crisis but for now they are characters.

Just don't go using Destructor for overwatch or killing models outside your squads longest weapons :wink:

Oh and I'm pretty sure you get ONE look out sir. 2+ or 4+, no hot potato.

-T
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am

I talked with some other folks and they said the same thing about the conceal. I just wanted some input as i was thinking of playing my eldar for the finals.

You can see my issue with the warlock using that called shot when rolling a 6+. I like that they can get the called shot, but i just wanted to be sure its not going to be one of those long drawn out arguements in a tournament. Until they update it they get the rule. I have enough warlocks to choke a horse and I tend to run Eldrad, 10 warlocks, 4 singing spears, enhance, embolden, and 4-6 destructors all riding inside a Wave serpant. I just get where i need to go and unleash death. As destructor is a shooting attack and i am not casting a spell it rocks in overwatch Especially when i have my combo of Fortune/Guide going in tandum with usually a DOOM on the closet unit. so you get to reroll everything. so most people dont try to assault them but run away and keep shooting.

I wanted to be sure i have something out there that has been worked out and discussed at least in AWC so its not a surprize when i "bring the pain". :lol:

moonshadow13

Postby Turtle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:17 am

you can't use destructor on overwatch
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 pm

seriously? why not? isn't it nothing more than a shooting attack? i didnt see it listed on the FAQs. I will need to read this again as per the codex its an ability that is always on and does not require a leadership test. Wouldn't that be a reactive ability then like using a flamer or other defensive weapon in a overwatch? If i missed something please note source so i can correct any future use of this ability.

moonshadow13

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

moonshadow13 wrote:OK the first quest deals with the Conceal spell. If a warlock is in a Transport would not the transport benifit from the 5+ cover save? I ask this because it would save the use of Jink (5+ cover save) and losing your shooting attack on your next turn.
The Warlock's unit get's a 5+ cover save and nobody else. Also, you don't "lose your shooting" when you make use of Jink. Skimmers always have a Jink save (when they move) with no drawbacks. Flyers only get a Jink save when they Evade, and even then they don't lose their shooting, it's merely reduced to Snap Shots.

moonshadow13 wrote:Does this make them a sergeant/team leader type only when in these units or are all warlocks considered sergeants/team leader?
You're looking for Type: Character. Warlocks are listed as "Character" in the reference section of the BRB, so they are Characters with all the priviledges and rules attached, including Precision Shot and Look Out, Sir!

That being said, a Look Out, Sir! roll can only be attempted once per wound, so no hot potato as mentioned. Also, since they are not Independent Characters, it is only a 4+ to pass.

moonshadow13 wrote:As destructor is a shooting attack and i am not casting a spell it rocks in overwatch
This is illegal. Destructor is a Psychic Shooting attack, and you cannot use Psychic Shooting attacks in Overwatch per the BRB FAQ page 3.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Also remember that you cannot cast any Eldar psychic powers whatsoever while embarked on a transport because of the FAQ:

Q: The Farseer Psychic Powers rules state that they do not require the
Eldar Psyker to have line of sight to the target. Does this mean that they
can be used by an Eldar psyker embarked on a Transport? (p28)
A: No.

So no Fortune, Guide, Doom, Mindwar, or Eldritch Storm while embarked. It seriously f'-in' blows, but that's what they wrote. It's just another way that GW is sticking a pineapple in the Eldar players' collective asses.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby moonshadow13 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 am

See thats what i was looking for i didnt see or overlooked that the FAQed that specific shooting attack. Its a catch 22 because they also say that warlock are a 0 level psyer and their abilities are always active. That tells me that they can be used at anytime, but since you showed me that said specifically they can't be used in overwatch then it is what it is.

Now not being able to cast buffs in a transports that require no line of sight is new to me. I think i saw that when 6th first came out in the FAQs and hence why i shelved my eldar. Its been awhile and i have been wanting to play them again as i just play Chaos marines with a spattering of Tau now and then.

In my opinion as i watch each new codex come out they make that faction special and unique and therfore everyone buys that new faction. They do it again each time one comes out and you have a new FOTM. The bigger issue though is they nerf other factions so you don't want to play them and feel obligated to move to another faction and hence spend more money.

Thanks for your input on this and i will move on to another army design and or faction entirely where i can incorperate these changes and play accordingly.

moonshadow13

Postby DaGrippster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 am

Wait, just so I'm clear, you can't even fortune your own unit inside a wave serpent?
DaGrippster

Postby seahawk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Correct.

No Fortune or Guide, even on yourself, while in a transport. You can use BRB powers while in a transport though, just not Eldar powers.

It's stupid and careless and blows monkey chunks, but it is what it is.
seahawk

Postby Chubs » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm

A swift kick right in the bits...
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am

My Chaos Sorcerers can't cast their Blessings nor Maledictions on other outside units whilst embarked in a transport either (of course they can Bless their own unit). So Eldar did get a little screwed, but I'm still surprised I don't see more people fielding them right now. Seems like they have so much shooty shooty stuff it'd be a good game. Those Warp Spiders were hard to deal with even in 5th edition.

Plus couldn't they Ally with Dark Eldar as Battle Brothers to get some bad-ass flyer support? Seems viable, no?
Lord Krungharr

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)