Daemon Prince w The Mace scenarios

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Daemon Prince w The Mace scenarios

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:05 am

A couple of interesting scenarios arose when my Chaos Marines Nurgle Daemon Prince with the Black Mace played some Necrons today.

1) My Nurgle Prince was assaulted by 3 Tomb Spyders, which I was then told were actually 3 individual units, not a single unit. So my brain woke up and I challenged 1 of them, which it had to accept because it's a unit of 1. The other two individual Spyders had also assaulted me, but could not strike against my Prince, as he was in a challenge. Is that the correct way of doing that?

After Princey killed that Spyder with ease, I also assumed the other 2 Spyders were still locked in combat with the Nurgle Prince since they had charged him. Is that correct? That's the way we played it, made sense at the time. And it really helped the Daemon Prince handily wipe out those Spyders, as if the others could strike back, that could've kicked his butt! 5+ invuls aren't that easy to make.

The Curse really didn't do much of course, not even vs Necron Warriors. But that brings me to the next scenario arising right after the Spyders:

2) The Nurgle Prince charges a plain old Necron Warrior unit, with the reanimation protocol, which as my opponent told me, is rolled at the end of each phase (fight sub-phase at this point). But my Black Mace's Curse also rolls for the effect at the end of that phase. So since it's my turn, do I still get to choose which happens first? We tried it in the first round where I killed 6 Necron Warriors....I chose to have him to Reanimation first, 3 stood back up...then I had him roll Toughness Tests for the Curse, and that killed 3 Warriors. But since he already rolled Reanimation, we assumed he would not get to do that again. So those last 3 Curse victims just got removed as casualties due to no armor saves.

That was a very ambiguous one, and it played out pretty much the same when I reversed the order of things next turn, but it seems like it could matter somehow in some game whenever in the future. What's the view on Reanimation Protocol vs other end of the phase effects?

I still think the Black Mace is pretty awesome, however it would also be very effective on a Bike Lord, as it's still Fleshbane with many potential attacks, and the Curse has great potential vs hordes...actually, even Xenos with 4+ armor saves would get crunched, it's AP4 afterall. With a sigil, he could do challenges, and have the enemies pile in, then the Curse would go off, assuming he did a single unsaved wound to his Challengee. Probably still better to run him with other Bikers, and have the Champion do the challenges, just to be safe. Daemon Prince with Murder Sword is plenty good.
Lord Krungharr

Re: Daemon Prince w The Mace scenarios

Postby RAMSEY » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:21 am

1) Yes the other Spyders are still locked on combat with the prince.

2) Protocal is done at the end of the phase. The Black Mace effect takes place before then. Also Protocal is only done once in a turn.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Whoopxi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 am

Are spyders even characters? If not, then they shouldn't even be able to be challanged in the 1st place.
Whoopxi

Postby seahawk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:34 am

Nope, they aren't characters, so the DP should have just crunched all three of them.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 am

But the spyders are units of 1, at least in this game they were. So don't they have to accept a challenge because of that? Or is that just with characters which are units of 1?

Yeah, that would've saved some time if we did that wrong.
Lord Krungharr

Postby seahawk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Only characters that are units of 1 must accept.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)