Ranged weapons and CCW etc

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Ranged weapons and CCW etc

Postby seahawk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm

In response to a different question my group had raised, I was rereading the weapons rules and I found this little dirty gem :( :

"Some weapons can be used in different ways, representing different power settings or types of ammo. Some weapons can be used in combat as well as shooting. Where this is the case, there will be a separate line in the weapon's profile for each, and you can choose which to use each turn."

This is brand new for this edition; I went back and double-checked the 5th book but this was not in there. So, I then checked the FAQ's and the Eldar codex, and there was no other clarification.

Otherwise, it's looking like Arjac's hammer, Singing Spears, OMFG PISTOLS, and anything else that works in the two phases (the Burna is already covered by the Ork codex...stands the test of time!) can only ever be used in the shooting phase or assault phase of a given turn, but not both in the same turn. That is a sad, mega nerf and I don't like it, but can't do anything about it.

WHY DIDN'T THEY REALIZE THIS WHEN WRITING IT???

Or maybe they did...

It does apply, because the pistol has two profiles, its shooting profile and its melee profile. "and you can choose which to use each turn". The context doesn't say only ranged or melee weapons, it's just all weapons in the game.

WOW what a change this is going to make...
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Re: Ranged weapons and CCW etc

Postby seahawk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Upon further review of the play...

"A pistol can be used as a close combat weapon. If this is done, use the profile given above - the Strength, AP and special rules of the pistol's Shooting profile are ignored (see page 52).

[page 52] All Pistols are effectively Assault 1 weapons. A Pistol also counts as a close combat weapon in the Assault phase (see page 24 and 51)."

So...a pistol has its pistol profile. Then, come the assault phase, it no longer has a pistol profile (because of "ignored") and instead has a ccw profile.

I think I could get behind that. It has two profiles, but not at the same time, so you don't have to choose which you're using in a given turn.

Still, that means the hammer and spear and others are screwed. :(
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)