measuring distances

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

measuring distances

Postby swampthing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 am

We all know that as of sixth we can measure the distance between units before shooting or charging.
but I saw something at a tournament recently that set offthe alarm on my cheese-o-meter.

I saw a player measuring distances between units during his deployment. He was doing it as naturally as brushing his teeth, his opponent had an expression on WTF, but didnt say anything.

my opinion is that this is bending the rules, it gives the player who deploys second an unfair advandtage. then again, it could be totally meaningless . it just felt wrong.

what you think?
swampthing

Re: measuring distances

Postby seahawk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:12 am

Page 4.

"You can always check any distance at any time."

No cheese, just 6th! :D

Why would you think it to be beardy, at any rate?
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby CmdrVimes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 am

It is within the rules, but does seem strange when you are used to so many years of it not being allowed. I often forget to do it when I probably should. I must admit, though that it makes more sense to me in 40K where high tech is supposed to exist than in Fantasy where it does not.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby swampthing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am

seahawk wrote:Page 4.

"You can always check any distance at any time."

No cheese, just 6th! :D

Why would you think it to be beardy, at any rate?

I was thinking that the player deploying second could put his troops just out of range for heavy weapons and the like, I suppose I read page four to specifically apply to shooting/charging, and not deployment. It may be withing the rules, but it still feels Hinky.
swampthing

Postby seahawk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Well yea, but he still can steal the first turn, then he'd be out of range. 36" is like a minimum for heavy weapons...that'd be an awfully tricky deployment. It's really not hinky at all, I believe players such as yourself just aren't used to it (so get used to it! :P). Fantasy players like myself have been doin' it that way for years now ;).
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby DaGrippster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:36 pm

It may be withing the rules, but it still feels Hinky.

I agree. Still feel like I am cheating every time I do it. I think it takes a big skill out of the game.
DaGrippster

Postby jrnach » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I think it makes going second a big advantage compared to the alpha striking mentality of fifth edition.
jrnach

Postby JonnyP » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

DaGrippster wrote:
It may be withing the rules, but it still feels Hinky.

I agree. Still feel like I am cheating every time I do it. I think it takes a big skill out of the game.

Disagree. Guessing ranges may be a skill, but proper maneuvering and decision-making is the skill that is now focussed on.

Take the guesswork out and let gamers be gamers. :D
JonnyP

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 am

I agree with Mr. P. With measuring and positioning it's much more of an active thinking game, rather than just plug n chug the odds with the same old units all the time. Directionally placed damage makes such a huge difference now, both players have to constantly shuffle and consider every position carefully to maximize their game. I like it, and you know, my games actually seem to go faster now because I can measure, so I don't have to guess and tweak while guessing and praying I guessed correctly on ranges both offensively and defensively.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)