Weaken Resolve: witchfire or malediction?

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Weaken Resolve: witchfire or malediction?

Postby DaGrippster » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 am

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it. The issue is that if it is a malediction, I don't believe it can be cast from a transport. I maintain that it is a witchfire, because it is used in the shooting phase like most witchfire powers. However, I can see the argument either way.

What do you guys think?
DaGrippster

Re: Weaken Resolve: witchfire or malediction?

Postby seahawk » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Since it's a pre-6th power and GW didn't address them in the FAQ's, it's neither. That means, just like "I've Been Expecting You" and other similar abilities that require LoS, it cannot be used while in a transport because a unit in a transport doesn't have LoS to anything except when it's shooting. GW, in their almighty wisdom, decided to extremely limit what a unit in a transport could do in this edition.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 am

I have no idea.

However, those who do seem to have ideas - 6th is new. It would be useful if people who feel that they have a grip on how these various interactions should work could post page references that back up their answers.

For example, " That means, just like "I've Been Expecting You" and other similar abilities that require LoS, it cannot be used while in a transport because a unit in a transport doesn't have LoS to anything except when it's shooting."

Where is this stated? It seems to answer the question, but for all I know, you just made it up.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 am

Sorry, discussion elsewhere had it on my mind.

In the section on Fire Points, it simply says that you can shoot a weapon or Witchfire/Focused Witchfire out of a fire point, drawing LoS from the hatch.

Nowhere in the book does it say that a unit in a transport has line of sight for any other purpose than shooting/psychic shooting. Indeed, one cannot shoot at a unit in a transport because they don't have line of sight to it either.

Basically, GW left out a big chunk of Transport rules in this edition. Since 40k is permissive, if it doesn't say you can do something, then you can't. It doesn't say you can draw line of sight for abilities other than shooting, so then you don't have any and can't use those abilities.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Turtle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

it says on page 67 under the declare target section

"a psyker embarked on a transport can only target himself, his vehicle, or another unit embarked on the same vehicle as the psyker"

so no weaken resolve from inside of a transport. Unless it's a witchfire of course, but I can find nothing that says it has a new type.

so therefore page 68,

Powers without a type
If a psychic power does not have a type the rules for using it will be clearly expressed within it's entry
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 pm

You know I was ready not argue they can use Weaken Resolve from inside a transport and then I looked at their codex entry. The Soulstrom power right above Weaken Resolve says it is a psychic shooting attack while that same phrase is not used in Weaken Resolve. I say get your ass outside your metal box before you Weaken Resolve and then Terrify my Swarmlord off the table.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 pm

This is sad, it essentially makes PBS pretty useless, considering that a single turn of fire will cripple the unit down to a point where it's near useless, which is why the Chimera was always a popular option for them. You can have the squad shoot off it's Soulstorm power, but really that was never the main reason for taking the Battle Squad, now that Weaken Resolve doesn't do anything from a transport, it's a sad waste of points to take them, when I can take more firepower elsewhere.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:This is sad, it essentially makes PBS pretty useless, considering that a single turn of fire will cripple the unit down to a point where it's near useless, which is why the Chimera was always a popular option for them. You can have the squad shoot off it's Soulstorm power, but really that was never the main reason for taking the Battle Squad, now that Weaken Resolve doesn't do anything from a transport, it's a sad waste of points to take them, when I can take more firepower elsewhere.

Why not move up 6", disembark 6", and Weaken Resolve a unit. Then in the shooting phase have another vehicle flat out in front of the PBS blocking their LOS. If the enemy wants to expending the shooting to remove the blocking vehicle, it would be no different than dedicating the firepower to remove the PBS transport if they were inside it.

Also remember that with the psychic power Terrify, you can combine that with Weaken Resolve to cause even a previously fearless unit to fall back. There is a light at the end of the tunnel little buddy.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:10 pm

The only guard vehicle that can flat out is the Hellhound + Variants. Which means that on a unit of 6 in a Chimera + the hellhound, you have spent a total of at least 245 points to make a previously great unit usable. Not worth it to me.

I'd rather invest the 135 points that my unit of 6 was with a transport on a Vendetta or something more shooty.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:08 pm

All vehicles can move Flat Out. Fast vehicles just do it faster ;)
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Any normal movement tank can flat out for 6" in the shooting phase instead of shooting its weapons. In a guard army that means any chimera can do that. A fast ground vehicle can flat out 12" in the shooting phase instead of firing a weapon. The PBS own chimera can dump them out and then move in front of them in the shooting phase after they have used weaken resolve.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)