Move and fire search lights

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Move and fire search lights

Postby tg787 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Can you move 12 and use your searchlight? I have been getting a differnt answer from everyone I ask.
tg787

Re: Move and fire search lights

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Move what 12", a Stormraven?

Assuming you're talking about non-fast vehicles, the relevant rules seem to be:

Page 95:
After selecting a target, but before a unit fires, a check needs to be made to see if the firers can clearly spot their target...

Page 15:
The Shooting Sequence

1) Check line of sight & pick a target

Pick one of your units, check its line of sight and choose a target for it. All models in the unit that can see at least one enemy model in the target unit may open fire.

2) Check Range...

3) Roll to Hit...

And

Disallowed Shooting:

Certain situations prevent a unit from firing. The most common are...

Page 58:
A vehicle that moved at cruising speed may not fire.

Searchlight (various Imperial codexes):
... If a vehicle has a searchlight it must still use the Night Fighting rules to pick a target but, having acquired a target, will illuminate it with the searchlight...

It appears that Night Fighting kicks in after step 1 of the shooting sequence, but before Step 3 (maybe before step 2).

It seems to me that a model that cannot fire does not get to use Step 1 of the Shooting Sequence. If a vehicle cannot fire, it doesn't check line of sight or pick a target. So, not doing these things, it doesn't look like it gets a chance for the searchlight to trigger on acquiring a target, as a target is never picked.

I'm not sure what logic would be employed to imply that a unit that cannot fire gets to pick a target.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 am

This came up in my game 3 of Adepticon and the judges ruled "no, you may not move a non-fast vehicle more than 6" and use a searchlight." Im sure for the reasons Redbeard articulated on.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Just to play devils advocate since this might all change in two weeks, if we lump the searchlight in with weapons on a vehicle then if a non fast vehicle moves 6" it can either fire a weapon or turn on the searchlight? What if the vehicle suffers a crew shaken? Can it turn on a search light? I thought the only requirement for search.ights is you needed to be able to see the target which the 2d6 roll was for.

If it says in the shooting phase instead of firing a weapon you can turn on the searchlight, and we are saying that if you can't shoot a weapons you can't turn on a searchlight, does that mean a rhino (which loses its shots for any reason that turn) can't self repair since it is forgoing shooting to self repair?

I'm inclined to think a searchlight is wholly different than a weapon and is treated as such. Of course in 2 weeks this can all change.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)