Psy Powers out of Vehicles

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Psy Powers out of Vehicles

Postby Crumpsky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Can you shoot psychic powers that require LOS out of vehicles still? I was talking with a friend today and he said they FAQ'd that you couldnt do that anymore. The question is, has this been FAQ'd as a no no, or can we still do this?

Thanks!
Crumpsky

Re: Psy Powers out of Vehicles

Postby seahawk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Well it all depends on if the Psychic Power is a Psychic Shooting Power or a regular power, whether or not it needs LOS, and then it depends on whether the vehicle has Firepoints or not.

There is nothing in any FAQ that says a blanket "no". At best, this is what your friend was referring to:

Q: Can models embarked upon a vehicle use its fire
points to draw line of sight to a unit to use special
rules or wargear (other than shooting)? (p66)
A: No.

All this says is that you can only use Firepoints to gain LOS if you are shooting. For anything else, you can't use them to gain LOS. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that this effects is IG officers issuing orders, but I believe the codex overrides it anyway. Otherwise:

- If a psychic power does not require LOS, simply measure from the edge of the hull.
- If a psychic power does require LOS, you cannot use the Firepoint to get it and thus it can't be used.
- If a psychic shooting power does not require LOS, simply measure from the edge of the hull.
- If a psychic shooting power does require LOS, simply measure from the Firepoint.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Turtle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

This actually applies to a bunch of stuff. The necron guy who takes over vehicles can't do it in a transport anymore. You can't have your psyker battle squad use weaken resolve. so on and so forth
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby LordSeverus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:06 am

That would all be true if it weren't for this question also from the FAQ.

Q: Can a model use a psychic power that is not a Psychic Shooting Attack if it is embarked in a transport vehicle? (p50)
A: Yes. If the power requires line of sight, this is still worked out from the vehicle’s fire points (this will count as one model shooting through that fire point if the power is used in the Shooting phase). If the psychic power does not require line of sight and has a range or an area of effect that is normally measured from the model using it, these are measured from the vehicle’s hull, as explained in the Embarking section on page 66
LordSeverus

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 am

Ah nuts, you know I thought I read that but I couldn't find it when checking for this question. I will amend my chart!

- If a psychic power does not require LOS, simply measure from the edge of the hull.
- If a psychic power does require LOS, you cannot use the Firepoint in any phase other than the Shooting Phase to get it and thus it can't be used. If it is a power used during the Shooting Phase, simply measure from the Firepoint.
- If a psychic shooting power does not require LOS, simply measure from the edge of the hull.
- If a psychic shooting power does require LOS, simply measure from the Firepoint.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Just a minorly related topic. About the only "abilities" I can think of that can be used that are affected by the FAQ is the travelers "mind in the machine" thing......and Njal Stormcallers Stormy nonsense. If anyone can think of any others let me know.
Norbu the Destroyer

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)