Impaler cannon and smoke

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Impaler cannon and smoke

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 pm

I looked at the January Tyranids FAQ and It has this nugget in there.

"Q: Can a unit take cover saves From any source other than the terrain they are in, or touching, against Wounds caused by an Impaler Cannon? (pg. 47)
A: No"

Am I wrong to think this means a rhino which blows smoke will not get a cover save from Hive Guard shooting an Impaler Cannon?
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Impaler cannon and smoke

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Hmm... I see in the INAT where it says something that grants a cover save like a custom force field still gets it from an Impaler cannon. Since the INAT has not been updated since the new GW FAQ came out I wonder if this will be addressed in the INAT before Adepticon.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby DaGrippster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Doesn't the INAT faq also state that it is always superseded by the GW faqs?

Pretty sure it means no cover.
DaGrippster

Postby seahawk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:40 pm

I'll just highlight the important bit:

Q: Can a unit take cover saves From any source other than the terrain they are in, or touching, against WOUNDS caused by an Impaler Cannon?

You never ever cause wounds against a vehicle. ;)

Thus, vehicle cover rules from this are unchanged. In fact, this doesn't change anything at all from the original rule. A smoking rhino will still get a cover save (and cancer). :)
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Fascinating. The GW FAQ questions stiplulates wounds so it can not apply to a Vehicle. The GQ FAQ states that even models outside of terrain cover, those that receive cover from another source like a KFF, do not get the cover save from an Impaler Cannon.

The Hive Guard entry does not state 'wounds', but rather "The target can only count the benifits of cover they are in or touching if it lies between them and the Hive Guard."

Notice it does not talk about wounds so the Hive Guard entry would also apply to vehicles since they can be a target. The GQ FAQ goes one step further and says nothing can get a cover save from wounds from an Impaler Cannon even outside terrain and gaining cover from another source.

If a vehicle pops smoke are they considered in cover? The Hive Guard entry only needs a 'target' to be in cover. If you blow smoke are you in cover?

HMMMMmmmmmm... looking at page 62 in the BRB it states smoke launchers obscure the vehicle and obscurement grants it a 4+ cover save. Since the Impaler Cannon ignores cover you are in, then the smoked vehicle is not in cover, but rathered obscured instead and obscurement is a different rule which grants a 4+ cover save without being in cover.

I think the right ruling was made, but for a different reason than I originally thought.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby seahawk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:47 am

If a vehicle pops smoke are they considered in cover? The Hive Guard entry only needs a 'target' to be in cover. If you blow smoke are you in cover?
Yes.

"...but will count as obscured in the next enemy Shooting phase, receiving a 4+ cover save." (p.62)

"...to claim to be in cover. If this is the case, the vehicle is said to be obscured (or 'hull down') [or in cover]."

"When are models in Cover? When any part...is obscured...the target model is in cover." (p.21)

Basically, "being obscured" is equivalent to "being in cover" which is equivalent to "being hull down;" in all cases, "if the target is obscured (it is) and suffers a glancing or penetrating hit, it may take a cover save against it..."
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:16 pm

I was actually going to comment on this, but i see you covered it pretty well. SO to sum things up as long as there is something blocking (obscuring) your target that even though your weapon ignores line of sight there is still the obstruction (obscuring) the target and they get a cover save. I play 2 other factions that have these types of weapons so its nice to get a clarification on this specific ruling.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby seahawk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Yes and no. Yes for special wargear/psychic powers etc, no for terrain.
seahawk

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)