Coteaz ‘I’ve Been Expecting You’

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Coteaz ‘I’ve Been Expecting You’

Postby tg787 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 pm

This rule came up at the tournament last weekend. I had no issue with how it was judged at the time but I was reading the INAT and found out that we played it wrong. According to the INAT FAQ you have to be within 12 inches of Coteaz when you come onto the board for his special rule to go off. We played it as where the model ends up after its move, which is incorrect. Here is the INAT entry for any one who plays with or against Coteaz to use as reference.

◊GK.45F.01 – Q: GW’s official Grey Knights FAQ
regarding ‘I’ve Been Expecting You’ implies that
units arriving from Reserves are placed on the table
and then moved, yet this seems to contradict the
rules for moving Reserves onto the board. How
should this be played?
A: While Coteaz is in play, when a Reserve unit is going to
move on from a table edge anywhere near Coteaz, first
place the models touching the board edge where they are
arriving from, then check range and resolve ‘I’ve Been
Expecting You’ (if applicable). After that, continue moving
the unit but measuring their total movement distance back
from the edge of the table where they arrived [clarification].

I also found out that if a storm raven is destroyed during your movement phase you can still use the ‘Shadow Skies’ rule, that rule is here for reference.

◊GK.37G.02 – Q: If a Stormraven moves flat-out and
is destroyed in the same movement phase (by failing
a dangerous terrain test, for example) are its
passengers then allowed to disembark using the
‘Shadow Skies’ rule?
A: Yes they can [RAW].
tg787

Postby DaGrippster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Interesting, I have definitely been playing that wrong. It is a lot less effective this way, IMO.

However, this would mean that you only need to stun/ immobilize a tank coming in to destroy it, correct? and presumably anybody riding inside is also destroyed.

I don't like this ruling, seems like an unnecessary break in the action. It makes more sense to me to place the unit wherever it wants to go and then check.
DaGrippster

Postby seahawk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 am

Not really. The point of entry for non-deepstrikers is the board edge, always has been. That's where they arrive; where they end up is not where they arrive, it's where they go after they have arrived.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby YeezyMozart » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I have been under the correct impression of the rule all along. I know I have to stick with my gut even if opposed by great players.

Judging events is tough I need to stay on top of these things.

Thanks

Alan
YeezyMozart

Postby YeezyMozart » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Here is another questions....

Cortez VS Cortez on seizing the initiative.

Can you force your opponent to reroll the reroll at seizing the initiative?
A: My ruling was No because you can never reroll a reroll according to the rule book.
YeezyMozart

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:11 pm

B-Rad wrote:I know I have to stick with my gut even if opposed by great players.

Alan

I might have a case of the rabbit ears, but are you saying I talked you into making this call during the game?
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby tg787 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Alan, I have no issue with the ruling at all, its a rare situation and you made a perfectly reasonable judgment. I think if there was no Inat faq and we were playing right now that I would play it the same way. I just wanted to post it so people know how it works when Adepticon rolls around. I have a feeling there might be a few Coteaz armies there. Tony, yeah I think it is a nerf, very small one though.
tg787

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 am

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:
B-Rad wrote:I know I have to stick with my gut even if opposed by great players.

Alan

I might have a case of the rabbit ears, but are you saying I talked you into making this call during the game?

Oh no I was not implying that either one of you intentionally tried to get me to rule the way I did.

This issue about Cortez getting to strike something that ended it's move within 12" of him from reserves happened at the AWC 8 event. And I made a different ruling.

I Ruled that day that it "Arrived From the board edge not where it ended it's move" To be honest at the time I had no backing for that ruling, it was simply the way I interpreted the rule at the time. But I told Tony he could not shoot it since it arrived from the board edge. I think Cortez's rule is more for deep striking armies (Like Daemons) or if you can get him with in 12" of the table edge on a Dawn of War deployment.

Tony was confident that I had my ruling wrong so I tried to check it out the next day that week. I found out that there was a mix with this ruling on the web but the majority felt that the model comes from somewhere off the table to the table therefore it would arrive on the battlefield wherever it landed. I didn't like this ruling but at the time when I investigated this the new Gray Knight FAQ was not out yet to my knowledge at least.

During your guys game I didn't even bother to check it since both of you felt that was how it worked and the main argument we had was whether or not the guys where dead. Which is what I went to investigate.

But I appreciate your findings Tim these are important things for me to keep in mind since I am sure they will continue.

Thanks,

Alan
YeezyMozart

Postby DaGrippster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 pm

This issue about Cortez getting to strike something that ended it's move within 12" of him from reserves happened at the AWC 8 event. And I made a different ruling.

Guess I'm not as good at arguing with you as Fred is :lol:
DaGrippster

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm

DaGrippster wrote:

Guess I'm not as good at arguing with you as Fred is :lol:

lol Probably not.....

Na like I said they both agreed on that rule I was simply brought over and asked what happens to the squad.
YeezyMozart

Postby DaGrippster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:50 pm

In all seriousness, I don't think this ruling is a huge deal. That special rule isn't the reason you want Coteaz in your army, just the icing on the cake.
DaGrippster

Postby tg787 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:32 pm

[quote="B-Rad"]Here is another questions....

Cortez VS Cortez on seizing the initiative.

Can you force your opponent to reroll the reroll at seizing the initiative?
A: My ruling was No because you can never reroll a reroll according to the rule book.[/quote]

I think the "you cant reroll a reroll" applies only to yourself. A situation that would be an example is how space wolves can use their banners to reroll all ones in close combat. If you roll a one you can reroll it, but if you roll a one again you cant reroll it. As it applies to coteaz if both players have him, they both can use him and you effectively have to roll a 6 twice to steal.
tg787

Postby DaGrippster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:59 pm

I agree that you can never reroll a reroll, that just seems to be RAW.

So, if you fail to seize, you use coteaz to reroll and your opponent can't make you reroll a reroll.

On the other hand, if you do seize your opponent makes you reroll.

It doesn't matter at all what the result of the first roll was, you will be rerolling it anyway. It's just silly. It makes the most sense just to ignore the rerolls and make it one roll.
DaGrippster

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)