Some rules questions...

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Some rules questions...

Postby Hero Jones » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:31 pm

There are 2 rules/questions that are bugging me.

1: Modeling for advantage.
One clear culprit is the Stormraven. The top piece, the one that goes behind the main gun, stops it from rotating 360 degrees. I've seen some people not put this top piece in so their Stormraven's main weapon may rotate 360 degrees. In the instructions, it doesn't say that the top piece is "optional", but part of the model. This is blatant modeling for advantage, and I've seen TOs ok with it.

2: Concept of Vehicle movement.
A Fast Skimmer moves 12" forward and then moves 12" back to the original starting point. Does this classify the vehicle as moving flat out. I know it doesn't, but want to know where it says this in the rules. I recently had a player do this to me and I argued against him to no avail, and the TO had us dice off. I am refusing to play this guy again until I can prove that he can't do this.

Thanks guys for any and all help.

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby Turtle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:33 pm

to go flat out you have to end your move more than 12" away from your starting location
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby seahawk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 pm

1. Fair enough, it is, by technicality, modeling for advantage. However, I have two points against it (as I've modeled my storm ravens in this manner). The first is that I never shoot more than 90 degrees to the sides or to the rear, out of fairness and because I never set myself up for crazy shots. The second reason is that it looks so ***dang fugly ugly to have that POS air scoop on top. I'll never have that chunk of crap on my ravens because it looks sooo much better without it. For me, this is Rule of Cool modeling, rather than it being for advantage.

2. He's being a wank. It does not count as movement, as the rules say "Pivoting on the spot alone does not count as moving, so a vehicle that only pivots in the Movement phase counts as stationary." Moving away and moving back to the exact spot, to me, looks like he just pivoted on the spot, no more. Sure he gets to shoot more weapons, but he doesn't get his cover save.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:48 pm

With regard to the rotating gun, do the rules for that Stormraven gun say it's turret mounted or hull mounted? That would make how they model it irrelevant. Of course if the rules don't specify, then I guess it could shoot wherever.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Hero Jones » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Its turret mounted, but...Page 59 states in a bullet point: "Turret-mounted weapons can usually rotate 360 degrees, together with the entire turret, unless the design of the model prevents this."

That is where I'm getting the modeling for advantage bit.

HJ
Hero Jones

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)