Feel no Pain Clarification

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Feel no Pain Clarification

Postby swampthing » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Can a model who suffers a wound from a weapon with an AP which is lower than its armor save still use the feel no pain rule?

i.e. an Ork Boy being shot by a bolter.

my confusion arises from the words in the F no P description.. "...and any other wound against which no armour save can ever be taken..."

thanks for your opinion
swampthing

Postby Depayen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 pm

yes as long as it not Ap2 or lower and / or a power weapon (fist, sword axe etc...)
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Postby Crumpsky » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 pm

I dont know what the rule book says, but when this comes up in games I play you get the FNP save but not the armor save.
Crumpsky

Postby appleton_cop » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:43 am

FNP says that when no armor save is possible though? I look at that on a Marine as AP3 no FNP? you don't get an armor save? I did not see that in the INAT faq?

Is/was the offiical ruling only the ap1 and 2? because (of course) the rule book allows for an ETC. at the bottom of the FNP entry.
Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose, Sometimes it Rains, Think about that for a while....

Nuke: Bull Durham
appleton_cop

Postby Redbeard » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:53 am

I'm pretty sure that it's only attacks that ignore all armour, not just attacks that ignore the armour you happen to be wearing.

Otherwise, those Dark Eldar models with 6+ saves and FNP would be pretty worthless.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby The Black Knight » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:45 am

My interpretation of it always has been that it's AP1, AP2, and anything that doesn't ever allow any armour save, like power weapons, rending, double toughness, perils, and things that remove model from play and never allow for any type of save (jaws and other such powers). The etc. in the rule is meant to cover things that aren't listed specifically as new wargear, powers come out in codexes that weren't in existance when FNP was written in the rulebook. It's hard to write a rule that covers every specific example of when you get it and when you don't for codexes that haven't even been written yet. Not only would the DE with 6+ and FNP be worthless, but so would nurgle daemons who don't even have armour saves (invul only). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only AP1 and 2 that automatically gave no FNP save.
The Black Knight always triumphs.
The Black Knight

Postby seahawk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:11 pm

It's pretty clear...

"This ability cannot be used against wounds from weapons that inflict instant death. Neither can it be used against wounds from AP1 and AP2 weapons, power weapons, and any other wound against which no armor save can ever be taken (like wounds from power fists, Dreadnought close combat weapons, rending weapons that roll a 6, Perils of the Warp, failed dangerous terrain tests, etc)."

Your armor save and the guns AP don't matter whatsoever, except for the obvious AP1/2.

Can a space marine make an armor save against a bolter? Yes. Thus, it doesn't deny FNP. Again, it doesn't matter whatsoever that model with a 6+ armor save can't use it against a bolter. Some other unit somewhere in the game can take an armor save against it, and so it doesn't deny FNP.

Otherwise, Plaguebearers would never be able to use their FNP, since they don't have an armor save at all and all guns would ignore it.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby swampthing » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:25 pm

[quote="seahawk"]It's pretty clear...

Maybe for you, not so much for me... a Kabalite warrior with a 5+ armor save or an ork boy with an 6+ armor save, can never take an armor save against a weapon with an AP of 5 or less. .It is reasonable to think that some people might read it the way I did.

so up until now, ive been playing my Orks and Dark Eldar in that they could only use F-no-p is close combat because just about any weapon that they were shot with, dissallowed an armor save.

I guess i will no longer be playing it that way .

maybe im reading way too much into the rules :D
swampthing

Postby seahawk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Yep! :D

You were reading it as if it is specific to just your armies; it was never written this way, only a blanket statement that covers all armies.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Skrivus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Look at the Plague Bearer from the Chaos Daemons army. Does not have an armor save, yet has feel no pain. I think that illustrates the rule well enough.
Skrivus

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)