Screamers of Tzeentch Attacks

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Screamers of Tzeentch Attacks

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 pm

The Screamers' Warp Jaws says " count as Melta Bombs ". Does this mean that they always count as S8 AP1? Or is that only against vehicles?
Also, does this mean they only get 1 attack even if they charge, since Melta Bombs/Grenades only get 1 attack?

Thanks!
Lord Krungharr

Postby DragonBait » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Melta Bombs make their attacks S8+2d6, but other than that no AP value. As far as # of attacks, I think they get their full number of attacks but the hits all resolve as per melta bombs. Not 100% on that last part though
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:45 pm

If they assault regular infantry they follow regular assault rules striking at I3 S4 with one attack base (they would get the bonus for charging too.)

Melta bombs are assault only therefore they do not have an AP value any more than a power fist has an AP value.

If you really want to get into the legal finery of Melta Bombs consider the fact that they don't technically have the melta special rule. They only get the 2d6 armor pen because it specifically says so in their own rules entry. This is important if your screamers charge a stormraven. The Stormraven is not immune to the 2d6 effect of the melta bombs.

Let's not use this thread to debate the stormraven thing though. It's been discussed to death on dakka. Whether you agree with it or not it just needs to be FAQed to kill it as a point of contention.
Brian

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 am

So they wouldn't be strength 8 against non-vehicles then? Can Krak grenades can be used against non-vehicles?

I didn't see anything on the GW Errata/FAQ nor on the INIT FAQ about this one. So I guess some official ruling needs to happen already.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:25 am

I always play it and have seen it played as 1 attack each regardless of charging, since thats how melta bombs work. This attack is S8 + 2D6 vs armour, and against anything else , you use the profile of the creature.

If you are contemplating using the screamers, I say go for it. They are a great anti tank unit, and they have some real versatility. The only trick is they cant run when they land (jetbikes) so plan your drops accordingly to not get plastered by blasts. I usually run 1-2 units in an 1850 list.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby seahawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 pm

It doesn't need a FAQing, it simply follows the rules as normal. Attacking infantry it gets 1 S4 attack unless it charges. Attacking vehicles it gets 1 (no matter what) S8+2D6 attack.

Also yes, they are very good to use.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:54 am

How about against walkers? Do they 6's to hit like grenades or do they use their WS against a walker to hit with the str 8 + 2d6 attack?
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby seahawk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:51 am

"Counts as meltabombs" would tell me that you use it as you would a meltabomb, ie grenade. So, only 6's to hit, or hit on WS if it's stunned/immobilized...
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:12 pm

How do we tell Games Workshop to stop using the phrase 'Counts As' ?
For fluff sake, seems like they should hit Walkers with Weapon Skill just like Infantry since they have Weapon Skill like a Walker; they're using their own jaws for Tzeentch's sake!

And they could be S8 single attack models, with no AP value but 2D6 vehicle pen, and give them WS1 or 2, so they can't hit well to offset that. Maybe in 6 years when Daemons get a new Codex something sensible like that could be put in there.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)