What I would do with 6th edition 40k

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

What I would do with 6th edition 40k

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:13 pm

There was a thread on Dakka about 6th edition. Here is what I would change to the game to make a 6th edition.

1. Get rid of the wound allocation shannigans. Go back to torrent of fire from last edition. That was good enough to put the wound on the lascannon guy if you shot enough and it would speed up the game. It also doesn't hose the power weapon guy in a unit where all his power weapon attacks are done to one guy.

2. Give units a stand and shoot ability that works like this. If a unit gets assaulted it can choose to "make a last stand". The unit will not make close combat attacks at all and will be auto-hit in HtH by the enemy, however the unit gets to make a shooting attack at double their initiative and a -1 to BS. The unit that makes a last stand is considered moving when making the shots (usually no heavy weapon fire and the -1 to BS makes it not to powerful, while getting auto-hit will make it more likely the unit will get wiped out). These shots do not add to combat resolution and they do not trigger a morale check.

3. To offset this I would bring back the rule that says if you consolidate into an enemy unit you are considered in assault with them. This will prevent other enemy units from shooting that assaulting unit, but the unit they just consolidated into can choose to make a "Last Stand" themselves in the next assault phase. This will help to mitigate a shooting foot army from becoming assault proof.

4. Vehicles. Leave the rules as is, but make a change to transports. Bring back entanglement for embarked units whose transport is destroyed. (they always get pinned coming out of a destroyed vehicle) Entanglement was a hassle last edition, but now the damage table favors vehicles more and there are cover saves everywhere. Non-transports won't be affected and will remain tough as nails to kill, but if Bugs or Daemons have to chase down a rhino, then they won't have to eat rapid fired weapons on the following turn from whatever was inside. It makes transports moving around the enemy a little more dangerous, but it doesn't kill the all tank army and it gives Foot lists a chance against tank lists. It also keeps Stormravens from moving flatout into the middile of the enemy army just to die and let Mephiston jump out to assault things.

These are good changes which have a chance to do the following things.

1. Speed up the game with the removal of wound allocation.
2. Encourage mech/foot hybrid lists which offer more variety than spam, spam, spam.
3. Encourage larger squad sizes who can withstand a "Last Stand" attack.
4. Gives all foot armies, such as daemons and Tyranids, a better chance against all mech lists.
5. Keeps every current army list option viable
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Kuma » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm

lol I think your proposed rules will make melee the ONLY armies that will be brought.
Kuma

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Really? Why is that.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Brian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 pm

I don't see why the entanglement thing has to be all or nothing. What if some kind of a roll were required such as with deep strike mishaps occur?

1-2 Can't move or shoot or assault next turn
3-4 Can't move or shoot but can assault. Here it is assumed that they're entangled but they were able to get free in time to assault.
5-6 Acts normally.

The roll is modified: +1 if the vehicle is open-topped, +1 if the passengers are fleet of foot, +1 if the vehicle moved 6" or less, -1 if the vehicle moved flat-out, -1 if slow and purposeful, -1 if the passengers were forced to disembark into difficult terrain
Brian

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I like those possibility rolls, although they wouldn't speed up the game, they would make it more sensible in a half-fluff kinda way.

Is anything that's Slow and Purposeful (besides Thousand Sons) allowed to ride in a transport?
Lord Krungharr

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)