let's just get this one out of the way - Henchman

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

let's just get this one out of the way - Henchman

Postby Chubs » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 am

Right, if you don't have the new GK codex or don't scan all the forums this may come as a shocker. There is a Special Character that allows you to take Henchman as Troops without the restriction of Inquisitors.

Henchman, as standard selections - similar to many other units, doesn’t take up a force org slot.

How is AWC going to run with ruling until GW/INAT makes a ruling?

Let's get the heart of the situation, will Coteaz +2 GK troops slots + infinite Henchman be legal army?

Personally - I think it's a legal army. New and shinny aside, it does have some serious issues both good and bad.
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:38 am

No, he makes them Troops.

You cannot take them as elites anymore with Coteaz. But you can take 1 per inquisitor that will not take up a slot as stated. Without Coteaz you could take them as Elites without the inquisitor but to make them not take up a slot you needed an inquisitor.

With coteaz making them troops, it works the same way. You get up to 6, plus you can have 2 "Free slot" troops choices.

That's how I interpret it. And even if you did the "infinite henchmen" it wouldn't be all that great.I wouldn't do something like that in an army if you are unsure of how it will be ruled, it would cost a lot to put together only to have it lost or invalidated possibly.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Turtle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:30 pm

i dont possibly see how an army like that could be any fun at all, to play with or to play against.
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

yeah

Postby Chubs » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm not going for the uber Chimera Spam, so I'm thinking something more fun.

ABCJ -> I'm not sold on the whole henchman interpretation. I'm just saying, thier wording says the unit doens't take a force org -> seperated from the whole Inquisitor limitation and under the Elite Force org. The flip side is that you are saying that if you take Corteaz, then they can count as your manadatory 2 troops. I was thinking that you'd still have to take a Strike squad or term squad.
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Crumpsky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 pm

My interpretation of this situation is that you can take as many of the henchmen squads as troops, yet they do not count in the force org, therefor making you take the strike squads to fill out the mandatory 2 slots.

But until GW comes along and fixes their goofy rules with a update I would play it like that.[/u]
Crumpsky

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I disagree because the rule says "You may take a unit of henchmen for each inquisitor that takes up no FOC Slot"

Therefore, each inquisitor gives a free unit of Henchmen for the FOC purposes.

1 Inquisitor = 1 Free unit (Coteaz). You can take 3 more as Elites if you do not take Coteaz, but if you do take Coteaz, you can take 6 more as Troops.

That's how I interpret it.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Redbeard » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:33 am

It seems to me that the entire point of Coteaz making them troops is that you don't need to take Grey Knights as well. I believe that the intent here is so you can run an all-inquisition army.

That said, intent isn't a good basis for a ruling.

It's obvious that he makes them troops. That means that, among other things, they can hold objectives.

It's not obvious if Coteaz's rule overrides the 'takes no force org' clause.

If it does not, you could not take henchmen as your mandatory troops because they're not taking that force org slot. This does go against what I believe their intent was, but it's not written that way.

If it does override the 'takes no force org slot', then you're now limited to six henchmen units because they're now taking your troop slots.

I don't think there's a way to read this in such a way that you're able to take infinite henchmen AND count them as your mandatory two troop choices.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)