Lifta Droppa Gladiator

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Lifta Droppa Gladiator

Postby YeezyMozart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 am

When a lifta droppa throws and vehicle with the tractor beam and drops it does the vehicle get a cover save if obscured at it's end point?

The FAQ goes over the occasions when the vehicle is thrown onto another vehicle the second vehicle struck would get cover saves from his D6 glances. But makes no mention of cover to the original target lifted.

If on the off chance a vehicle is wrecked after the D6 Glances but is placed somewhere along the line that there is no physical room for the embarked unit to get out, what happens?

Sorry if any of this has been answered been looking in the FAQ and online and I couldn't find anything.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 am

Alan,

I'd hate to use real life logic to interpret rules, but since I'm running the same wargear, we need to figure it out.

Here's my take. Probably no on the cover save. Since the object is coming down from above, unless the opponent's vehicle is in a garage, it's going to get smashed from the sky.

Troops on the other hand may get a cover save since they don't need 50% more obscurement from the trees.

I'd say if there are troops embarked, they follow the same rules as anything else that gets wrecked from normal shooting. Since you chose the spot that it comes down (along the scatter line) that could get nasty. But then again, you're paying for a big nasty gun.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:49 pm

If i am right on this its a line of sight thing and in this case the line of sight is from the thrower. So it comes down to line of sight if your behind cover from the thrower you would get it. as for the vehicle being thrown well you are perfically visable from the stompa throwing you so you would not get cover from it.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby Elthniar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Alan,

Like I told you today, if the rule for the lifta droppa says that you do not need line of sight to your target, then it would not get a cover save, exactly like hive guard.
Elthniar

Postby n00bzilla99 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Elthniar wrote:Alan,

Like I told you today, if the rule for the lifta droppa says that you do not need line of sight to your target, then it would not get a cover save, exactly like hive guard.

The Hive Guard special rule specifically details that you may not take cover against it's weapon if you are not in or touching the cover you claim. It is a special exception to non-LOS weapons that are not barrage, not the norm I do believe.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby yakface » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 am

If I were the judge on this issue (and I could be since I will be a judge during the Gladiator), looking at our FAQ ruling on the matter, we have ruled that vehicles 'targeted' by the weapon can get cover saves, so I read this to apply both to the vehicle picked up AND the one hit by the thrown vehicle.

While it makes almost ZERO logical sense why vehicles being dropped on each other would actually get saves, the Lifta-Droppa is a shooting attack, a wacky one, but still a shooting attack and therefore cover saves should apply unless specified otherwise.

I always try to remember that cover saves are an abstraction, that often represent things like firers getting distracted by an intervening unit, for example.

So in this case we can imagine (if we stretch) that if the initial vehicle grabbed by the Lifta-Droppa is partially obscured from the Stompa that the beam isn't able to get as good a lock on as it normally would and overall less damage is inflicted when it is dropped.

And conversely, if the vehicle being hit by the thrown vehicle is also obscured then it basically represents that the Stompa is trying to throw the vehicle at the other vehicle but because of the obscurement he isn't quite as 'on' with his throw and overall less damage will tend to be inflicted.

The only thing I noticed our FAQ ruling didn't cover was exactly when you check for obscurement for both targets, so if I were making the ruling I would say that you do the check before the vehicle model is 'thrown' (I'll have to get that added into the INAT for next time).
yakface

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Good explanation. With the stompa being so big, hopefully he'll have clear lines at the enemy tanks!

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)