Multiple Combats

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Multiple Combats

Postby seahawk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 am

Here's a situation that occurred in last night's game between my friends. It was IG vs SW.

Straken's command squad charged a Wolfguard with Logan. A pile of Ogryns also charged. The result was killing off the Wolfguard while suffering some casualties. They held. On the SW turn, a pack of Grey Hunters charged the Command Squad, not touching the Ogryns at all due to the distance.

In the ensuing combat, Logan dies but the command squad is reduced to Straken and a dude. The IG fail the combat.

Now, we knew Straken had to take fearless saves because he was still engaged. The question is, what happens to the Ogryns? The only enemy models they were engaged with are now dead, since they were never touched by the Grey Hunters. Are they out of the combat now? I may be thinking of a previous edition where the Ogryns were now simply disengaged, but I don't have my 4th and 3rd BRB's on hand to check.

Here are the relevant rules we could come up with:

"Units that have one or more models in base contact with enemies are said to be 'locked in combat.'" (p 35)
--> The Ogryns were locked/engaged in combat at the beginning of the combat (with Logan), but not at the end.

"At the end of a combat, if a unit's opponents are all either destroyed or falling back, so that the victorious unit is no longer locked in combat with any enemy, they may consolidate." (p 40)
--> The Ogryns, as a unit, is no longer locked with their enemy as they are all destroyed.

"Every unit on the losing side has to check their Morale." (p 41)
--> This seems to say the Ogryns have to check Morale. If they pass, can they just consolidate away?

"Remember that winning units can only sweeping advance if all the units they were locked with fall back or are wiped out in the fight."
--> Sidebar: If Logan had lived but fled for some reason, this says the Ogryns can now chase him as they were only locked with him and not the Grey Hunters, right? This also seems to say that being Locked only means the unit was actually base-to-base with, and not say that they are just automatically locked with all units in a multiple combat (supported by the first quote).

"After assault resolution, all units that were involved in that multiple combat must make a pile-in move towards enemies that fought in that combat."
--> Since he didn't flee though and instead just died, I think this says the Ogryns must now pile in to the Grey Hunters, despite having never actually been in combat with them except via the "multiple combats" rule.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Re: Multiple Combats

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:48 am

seahawk wrote:
"After assault resolution, all units that were involved in that multiple combat must make a pile-in move towards enemies that fought in that combat."
--> Since he didn't flee though and instead just died, I think this says the Ogryns must now pile in to the Grey Hunters, despite having never actually been in combat with them except via the "multiple combats" rule.

This rule answers your question, the combat is one single combat it is unified by different units engaged in different ways this is the main way to kill Ork horde.

Assuming the Ogryn pass their leadership saves they have to pile in.

If they fail they run and nothing can pursue them if Straken lives.

Everything piles in together since it is one big combat even if after the consolidation the unit can not make it into base contact they still need to keep piling in until combat is resolves all together.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby seahawk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 pm

How about if Logan had lived but fled for some reason? The rules seem to support that the Ogryns can chase him as they are not locked with the Grey Hunters.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby n00bzilla99 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I believe they are technically still engaged dud to the multiple combats rule and would therefore be unable to pursue logan. (Like they'd catch him anyways!)
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)