Display boards??

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Display boards??

Postby YeezyMozart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey everyone, I have been doing a lot of hobby work recently for Adepticon and I have been taking my time painting to the best of my ability. I came up with an question that I did not have an answer for.

I get paining requirements for tournaments and I support them completely.

What I don't get is who said you have to display the army you are playing with?

Where did this rule come from?

I only ask because I would not have a problem if lets say Jeff came to the tournament and is playing with a fully painted army but he has displayed a different army that he spent a lot more time on and it is a true depiction to his painting ability.

To make myself even more clear painting my army now my Orks I hate painting boys I rush and I just don't really care... so I have to pace myself and make sure I take it seriously. But my Ork army is not going to be a true representation of what I can do. I don't want to paint the models so of course I won't be able to put the best foot forward.

On the other hand I would love to just make a cool display like this armies on parade thing and make a cool fluff based army and take my time with it and make it look awesome but typically fluff based armies don't play well in the game.

So what I am asking is what would be wrong with letting people put what ever they wanted on display for their paint score as long as it is of equal points to that tournament and that the army they are playing with is fully painted why does it matter? Why does it have to be the army that they are playing with that gets graded? Can't I have a cool daemon wold display with all converted daemons and play with a separate fully painted I have a competitive list army.

Just something i have been thinking about and I was wondering if I was overlooking any reason why it wouldn't be a good idea. I think this would be a true scale of everyone's work.....Bring your best stuff and display it in a unified way...

Just a thought???
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Redbeard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Part of having people get a painting score for the army they're playing with is because people like to play against nicely painted armies.

You're rewarded for improving the experience for your opponents.

Like you said, there are other venues, such as Armies on Parade, or Golden Demon, that are there to solely reward your ability at creating an army.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Elthniar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm with Alex on this one buddy.

Using a different army for display and paint scoring than the one you play with kind of defeats the purpose of including a painting score to begin with. In tournaments with paint scores, you are being judged on all facets of the hobby with relation to the specific army you are bringing. To me, using a different army for judging goes against the spirit of the game. I could probably paint a deathwing or grey knights army that consists of 20 models extremely well and get great scores for it. I feel that if we switched over to this format, you would see a lot of people "cut corners" like that, which would lead to less impressive models on the tabletop. I love the concept of Armies on Display, as you know, and I have a pretty sweet idea for the army I am going to submit. However, in a tournament setting, everything you get a score for should relate to the army you are using. Imagine team tournament if it were like this. How would you judge theme? The theme of the "display" army or the theme of the actual army you are using? In a tournament you are bringing a specific army and that army is being judged for its appearance, composition, and performance on the battlefield. Bringing a different army just to show off on the side, in my opinion at least, defeats the purpose of "soft" scores altogether.
Elthniar

Postby Turtle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 am

that would be like charlie sheen having someone else take his drug tests
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Redbeard wrote:Part of having people get a painting score for the army they're playing with is because people like to play against nicely painted armies. .

Okay so I know that people like to play against nicely painted armies but the fact is that the people who paint well will still have a well painted army regardless, the people who are average painters will have a average table top army but might make a separate army that is a little bit better then their usual army one that they put more heart into.

Ultimately I do not think that an option to display a separate army would tip the scales for the quality of armies actually played. I am fairly sure that people who paint good now would still paint their figures to a table top quality. Just because I am showing off a different display doesn't mean that the army I am playing with looks like crap I still paid a bunch of money for the figs that I am playing with I would assume people would paint them well also.

Redbeard wrote:You're rewarded for improving the experience for your opponents..

I see your point but if this is truly why you are rewarded then I think a lot of people have the wrong intentions in mind when painting. I paint and buy my figures for one of two reasons I need to for a tournament, or i have an actual desire to paint the model to see how well I can do and feel some form of pride in my work. I would never just slop something together but at the same time I don't think about other people's opinion when I paint or if my opponent will like it.

Redbeard wrote:Like you said, there are other venues, such as Armies on Parade, or Golden Demon, that are there to solely reward your ability at creating an army.

Okay this is a valid point I agree but why are we limited to these options, I think that if you allow people to explore a different format a FREE FORMAT to display your work I think it will result to people having more armies and people painting more and people hobbing more. Those who choose too of course if you want on army the one i play with an display fine if you want to use a separate on then fine.

Elthniar wrote:I could probably paint a deathwing or grey knights army that consists of 20 models extremely well and get great scores for it. .

Well thats fine do it not everyone will be like hey I really want to sit here and paint a 100 models to the best of my ability but I can make a 1850 army on a awesome display on a awesome board and show what I can do I am PUMPED about this!!! Paint your heart off make a bad ass. A death wing 20 model army it would be legal if you where using it so why should it be frowned on if you are not using it?

Elthniar wrote:Using a different army for display and paint scoring than the one you play with kind of defeats the purpose of including a painting score to begin with.

No it doesn't I still wanna play against a painted army. Like Alex said that does matter.

Elthniar wrote:In tournaments with paint scores, you are being judged on all facets of the hobby with relation to the specific army you are bringing. To me, using a different army for judging goes against the spirit of the game.

I understand that this is your opinion and it would be hard to change your mind.

Wouldn't paint judging be a more accurate depiction in a free format style no template for what you must bring and show. Wouldn't being judged on all facets of the hobby in a free format style be more accommodating for the players.

Paint is Paint show us a painted army you have done.

Playing the game is playing the game what do you think is the best force.

I can see how this might go against the spirit of the game since we are use to the typical format and people don't like change but wouldn't it be more in tune with the overall spirit of the hobby?

Elthniar wrote:if we switched over to this format, you would see a lot of people "cut corners" like that, which would lead to less impressive models on the tabletop.

i respectfully disagree I see some people who paint like dog poo some people paint well and then there are some that paint awesome. The bottom line is people who just don't care will still have to make minimum requirements which they do now but they will be judged on paint. Some people who are just average and are okay with it will stay average People who are awesome will remain awesome try telling Aaron Towler to paint a model quick and not paint it his best he can't do it, he will throw it across the room.

This helps some of the people who are competitive and want to improve but since they always have to be judged on the army they are playing with then they have all their time in those armies. If I could just do my ork army at a average level score basic detail basing and conversions but then paint up a bad ass Tau army I would. But they suck in the game and I have no desire to truly play them even if I come up with decent lists sometimes so I will have to still paint another army that i will play in tournaments with.

I want to have side projects that could build into armies and the option to be judged on something like this in a tournament and gain recognition for this work would be cool. I am not at a golden daemon level but there are some models and some displays which I would love to be modeling projects.

Wow this is a long f***ing post
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby muwhe » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:27 am

B-Rad,

Armies displayed should be the armies played. Otherwise your going to have folks displaying the "best" painted army they own over and over again while throwing whatever crap they wanted to "play" on the table. This is a hobby, and tourney events that score painting celebrate the entire hobby.

Additionally, part of the event is to walk around and be able to size up the competition. Gauge armies you might have to play and how the army you brought might stack up against the meta of the forces being used. You can very quickly walk around and get a sense of how much MEQ, how many Space Puppies players are playing, or if someone actually brought necrons or tau.

It is also a double check for players and judges to be able to look at the army the person is displaying and see if it matches up with the list provided. A very important visual check.

To allow otherwise, not only IMHO would be distasteful it would create less transparency in a gaming environment in which folks like to already "think" the worst. Not something we should be supporting.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:40 pm

...enter the beautiful thing called "armies on parade".

I'm hoping that GW really pushes this one. I'm actually really looking forward to flushing out fun painting projects this way. It's going to be my big push for after Adepticon.

Alan, I know what you mean about wanting to paint up things that normally wouldn't be tournament friendly. I'm trying to convince myself that at least for the AWC tournaments to start bringing less then optimal builds just to try some fun things.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think the Gladiator tournament requires a display board. So that's a relief for me cuz I like carrying them in my tool box.
And I'm with Captain Snuggles...my army is definitely not built for ultimate tournament domination, just a well-made list with cool units I want to use, like my Chaos Toilet Daemon Prince, and custom scratchbuilt Armorcast looking Aetaosraukeres among other things. But it is well painted dammit!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)