Flanking question

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Flanking question

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 am

I cant remeber if i asked this question before but i wanted to just double check here.

Can a unit with and HQ attached in a designated transport use its flanking ability? That is to say the unit with attached HQ has a flanking ability that affects the whole unit and is in a designated transport.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby seahawk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 am

No. If the character does not have Scouts or Infiltrate (the ability that allows you to outflank) and he joins a unit that has it, the whole unit loses the ability because they have the asterisk.

If a unit that can outflank has a dedicated transport it confers the ability to the transport as well, allowing it to outflank. If a character without the ability joins them, they all lose it like normal.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 am

well just so i am correct on this if my exarch gives his ability to his unit anyone who can join that unit would share in it too right? or no? I guess i will have to look hard at the book again or look over the FAQs as i thought (not saying i am right) that the exarch abilities confer to the unit he is apart of and if a HQ is part of the unit they would then benifit from it as well? Providing gear is not an issue IE my warp spiders and having a HQ with them he would need to have a warp jump generator too otherwise they cannot deepstrike.

I went looking into the aspect of a Autarch and they are the masters of more than one aspect. That being said they carry or use equipment unique to those aspects to include the mana blasters and chain sword of the scorpions, warp jump generator and death spinner weapon of warp spiders, and the fusion gun of the fire dragons, etc.

So would not this specific HQ benifit from an striking scorpions exarchs abilities when joined to their unit as they were clearly (part) of a striking scorpion unit for a time?

Not looking for loop holes just looking for facts as eldar are so unique they tend to go against the grain (and get under their opponents skin with annoyance)

If not then this is one thing i hope they can fix or adjust as the Autarch is a master of all aspects and should have the abilities or at least share them when he is apart of one of their units as he use to be one of them.

moonshadow13

Postby DragonBait » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm

You're trying to use fluff to bend the rules here. Unless it says in the Autarch rules portion that he can join any aspect squad and have them retain any special rules they would normally lose due to an independent character joining the squad, then you can't. I'm about 99% sure it doesn't say you can't in the Codex, and the same confidence it doesn't allow you too in the FAQ's either.

Also, an independent character isn't part of a unit. He has joined it.
Last edited by DragonBait on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby Elthniar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Eldar Codex, page 33: "Shadowstrike: ..fluff fluff fluff... A squad including a model with Shadowstrike has the Infiltrate special rule. This ability cannot affect an Autarch..."

So no, you cannot infiltrate with an Autarch.
Elthniar

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

thanks guys i remembered reading that right after seeing elthniar's post. That was deliberate notation because of the Autarch being an aspect warrior once upon a time. I seem to recall asking GW about that very same thing and thats the answer i got to. It was quite some time ago and i forgot :).

Well thats just means i need to add Kanrandras the phoenix lord if i want to run that setup. His presence alone is enough to make most opponents pause for identification.

Thanks again guys you have been most helpful.

moonshadow13

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)