Ulthwe Black Guard

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Ulthwe Black Guard

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 am

I was wondering as i know alot of the craft world stuff was in 3rd Ed. Can i still field "black Guard" or can they only be guardians? I know i had a event i was going to before and though they are a special unit of guardians alot of people noted that now they are just guardians or Storm guardians.

I plan on fielding some modified guardians to be storm guardians with a dire avenger look to them. DO you think this will be an issue? They will be written in as Storm guardians for all gaming purposes and have their stats, but i will give then teh title of Black guard as they will all have modified Dire Avenger Exarch heads with some body parts as well.

Also does anyone have any other rumor insight on the new eldar codex coming out?
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby seahawk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 am

Yes, sadly for the Ulthwe they got the mega-nerf and now are all but fail. You cannot field an army from the Craftworld Eldar or Eye of Terror codexes any more than I can take an army from the 3.5 Chaos Codex. Unless of course, it's a retro tournament like the one a few months ago.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Is it wrong to then create a modified unit of "Storm Guardians" which will be fielded as and cost the same as them, but will be all modified up to look like fancy guardians with modified dire exarch heads and arm mounted pistols and sword? then just call them "Black Guard" to explain the mods to teh otherwise boring looking storm guardians?

I am try to get some modification and fluff points for paint judging for these tournaments as with eldar its not that easy. Do you think that would fly? Basically i am cutting off the chin extentions and using the fancy heads to note the Elite "black guard" (just normal storm guardians otherwise) that serve the Ulthwe. You think that would work? Or would explainging the fluff behind my storm guardians be too much for people?

moonshadow13

Postby n00bzilla99 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:36 pm

What you are describing is a classic case of "counts as" and it is done frequently in the 40k world.

As long as it's made clear to your opponent what the unit is before the game starts, I don't see any reason why it should be a problem.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks, i will make them all WYSIWYG, but just wanted to put it out there as i know some modifications can be frowned upon.

moonshadow13

Postby n00bzilla99 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Modeling for advantage is what is frowned upon. As in modeling your little guys so that they gain some sort of inherent advantage over the stock model that GW produces is what is frowned out.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the input on this. On another note does anyone have and info on if there was a special symbol fo the black guard (like a banner)? I have been collecting numerous dire avenger banners (hence why i have a ton of dire Exarch peices) to add to my armies modification look as it give them a japanese samari feel to them.

Mind you its taken months on end to get these piece by peice on ebay fighting with everyone else who is also after these bits, but in the end its worth it and it will make my eldar stand out.

Thanks again for your help.

moonshadow13

Postby Arander » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Why not just use the Ulthwe Craftworld symbol? I would think that would look nice on the banners, and spread throughout your army if you plan on making a primarily Ulthwe force.

Arander

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:22 pm

yep i have a bunch of those being painted by a friend of mine who is a really good banner painter. I just couldn't see just buying a couple sets of 8 storm guardians and with all these extra bits i can be totally WYSIWYG with (in my opinion) a nicely modified look for normal guardians into the Black Guard and make them stand out. All of course will each have a banner.

The way its looking now i might be able to aquire enough dire avenger sword arms to go with my wrist mounted pistols. If anything when people see them they will look more intimidating than they actually are. They will after all have a warlock with them that has enhance.

moonshadow13

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)