Psychic abilities??

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Psychic abilities??

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Couple questions regarding using psychic abilities.

1) Can a model that can use more then one psychic ability a turn use the same psychic ability twice or three times?

2) If they can use the ability more then once but fail the test the first time can they attempt the ability again after they already failed it once?

3) If you can use the same psychic power twice can you use the same shooting psychic power twice?

4) If you can't use the same shooting psychic power twice because models can't shoot more then one weapon could a monstrous creature use two psychic shooting attacks since they can fire two weapons in the shooting phase?

According to what I found out about the rulings I believe you can use two psychic abilities that are the same unless your codex says you can't.

I do not believe a psychic ability could be used if even one test is failed.

I do not believe models can use multiple shooting psychic abilities even monstrous creatures.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Re: Psychic abilities??

Postby Redbeard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 pm

B-Rad wrote:Couple questions regarding using psychic abilities.

1) Can a model that can use more then one psychic ability a turn use the same psychic ability twice or three times?

Not unless they have a special rule that allows this. The ability to use more than one power is, in all cases, a special ability, it's not something covered by the base rules. So, you do what the specific special rule says. If it says 'use a second power', that means a different one. If it says 'may use the same twice', then that's how that works.

It is implied on page 50 of the main rulebook, that you can never use the same power twice, but not clearly stated as such. "(but still cannot use the same power twice in a turn.)"

2) If they can use the ability more then once but fail the test the first time can they attempt the ability again after they already failed it once?

Nope, attempting is using.

3) If you can use the same psychic power twice can you use the same shooting psychic power twice?

Not unless your special rule allows it. Rulebook, page 50. I think Arhiman might be the only guy who can use multiple shooting powers.

4) If you can't use the same shooting psychic power twice because models can't shoot more then one weapon could a monstrous creature use two psychic shooting attacks since they can fire two weapons in the shooting phase?

Yes. Page 50 again. If you're allowed to fire more than one weapon, you may replace any of those firings with a psychic power (assuming you can use more than one).
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Turtle » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 am

keep in mind though that a monstrous creature can only use one psychic test a turn. the only exception I can think of is the swarmlord who can use 2 tests a turn and since he's a monstrous creature he can use 2 shooting attacks, so he may paroxysm, and leach essence
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Redbeard » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 am

A deamon prince of tzeentch would be able to use two powers as well.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 am

I see no mention of Eldar. Eldar (eldrad) can use 2 spells at the same time and yes use 2 shooting attacks. I.E. Mind war and eldritch storm. With eldar and the rule codex over rides rule book.

Now while the farseers cannot use two of the same spell they can use 2 different shooting attack ones (at the same unit). Eldrad on the otherhand has a staff that allows him to cast the same spell twice and can cast 3 spells. So in fact he could cast 3 shooting attacks (at the same unit).

The odds of them not casting a fortune during their turn first however is extremely low :wink: .
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby Redbeard » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:10 am

moonshadow13 wrote:I see no mention of Eldar. Eldar (eldrad) can use 2 spells at the same time and yes use 2 shooting attacks. I.E. Mind war and eldritch storm. With eldar and the rule codex over rides rule book.

We've gone over this before moony, if you're going to make an assertion like this, cite page numbers.

In short, You're wrong.

There is nothing in the special rules for Eldar that indicate that they can use more than one shooting power.

The relevant rule is found in the main rulebook, on page 50,

"Even if a psyker has a special rule allowing him to use more than one psychic power per turn, he can use only one psychic shooting attack (as models can fire only one ranged weapon per turn)."

While you're right, that IF the eldar codex provided an exception to that, they'd be allowed to ignore the main rulebook, it doesn't. The eldar codex provides no special case that would allow an eldar psyker to use more than one shooting attack.

The relevant rules here are from page 26: "Spirit Stones: A Farseer can use the power of a spirit stone to charge themselves with psychic energy. A Farseer with spirit stones can use two psychic powers per turn. A Farseer cannot use the same psychic power twice in the turn."

Also relevant is Eldrad's staff, from page 51, "Staff of Ulthamar: ...If Eldrad is not in an assault it can allow Eldrad to use a third psychic power per turn, which may be a psychic power her has already used that turn."

Neither of these special rules override the prohibition on using multiple shooting powers in a turn. The Eldar are limited in that fashion like every other race.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 am

I'm so glad Daemons' Daemonic Gifts are not psychic powers (except on Scabiethrax and Zarakynel) :D
Lord Krungharr

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:01 pm

OK then you need to read more on eldrad's staff as it states it has its OWN attack if i am not mistaken as it counts as a seperate entity as it is considered a spirit or being that is imbued in the staff therefore allowing Eldrad to infact cast 2 seperate shooting attacks.

One from Eldrad and one from the staff.

I will look at my book when i get home to verify for you as when i make 99% of these comments on these forums i am at work during lunch or just taking a break and putting in my 2 cents every now and again. i am so sorry i dont have a stack of rule books next to my desk at work.

We have gone over this many times in the past beardy and i still don't give a crap as i will continue to talk, comment, and make suggestions that i "think" is right until i am corrected otherwise. Just because i may or may not be correct doesn't mean i should not be able to post my thoughts.

They are after all just my thoughts based off of what i know at this time. At least i am not taling about dimentions and such which to this day still gets a good laugh from the guys in the AWC tournaments.

moonshadow13

Postby Redbeard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 pm

moonshadow13 wrote:...as when i make 99% of these comments on these forums i am at work during lunch or just taking a break and putting in my 2 cents every now and again. i am so sorry i dont have a stack of rule books next to my desk at work.

Nor do I, I have memorized them. (Or, perhaps, I just have a digital version somewhere).

Regardless... this is a forum for rules discussion. If someone asks a question about how something works, it really does make sense to READ THE RULES before commenting erroneously and misleading them.

If the rules are ambiguous, fine, state your opinion. No one has a problem with that. But when the rules are clear, as they are in this case, no one gives a shit what you think, they want to know the rules. And they're not hard to find. If you can't be bothered to spend the time it takes to read, and quote, the relevant passages, then don't post. Wait until you get home. Wait until you have access to the rules. It's better for those asking the questions to get the right answer, even if they have to wait a few more hours, than it is for you to confuse them.

We have gone over this many times in the past beardy and i still don't give a crap as i will continue to talk, comment, and make suggestions that i "think" is right until i am corrected otherwise. Just because i may or may not be correct doesn't mean i should not be able to post my thoughts.

Go ahead, you can continue to be a laughing stock too.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:21 pm

well, being laughed at is nothing new. being able to laugh with them at some of my foolishness. Well thats what makes me unique and why ia m still here alive and kicking.

I will continue to banter and give advice that i think i am right about. It is what it is.

Because you can take the donkey or you can take the train. It still is the same price.

moonshadow13

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:25 pm

There is no ambiguity. Redbeard has it right. Eldrad staff allows you to re-use a power (the same power) but you still cannot use 2 psychic shooting attacks.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby GrouchoM07 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:32 pm

moonshadow13 wrote:Well thats what makes me unique

You know John Wayne Gacy was unique too. Being unique is not always a good thing.

Why can't you just admit it when you're wrong?
I reject your reality and substitute my own ...
GrouchoM07

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)