Regrouping

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Regrouping

Postby Hero Jones » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:27 pm

This came up at a past tournament and I am curious as to what you all say.

A Dark Eldar Archron and 6 Incubi get thrown out of a Raider because it explodes. A 3 man War Walker squadron opens up on them, killing the Archron and 3 Incubi. They fail their morale and start to fall back.

Now my question is, can they regroup? I said no, while he said yes.

Their starting strength at the beginning was 7 (6 Incubi and the Archron). Having killed 4 of the 7, they were below half, but he argued that there were 3 of the original 6 incubi, thus allowing him to regroup.

I know this seems trivial, but all I can find in the rules is pg. 46 where it says half strength, and they were under since they started at 7 and now had 3, but like I said, he said they were right at half with 3 of 6.

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm

The new FAQ update actually adresses this question specificaly. It states that the IC does not count towards the units number.

So having 3 of the original 6 alive means he may attempt to rally.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Hero Jones » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, now a another question or two. If this is the case, and he does not count as part of the starting strength;

What happens if the squad is wiped out and only the Character is left standing. No morale right? Or if there is morale, and he fails he can still regroup since he is by himself right?

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby seahawk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Well, GW decided to clarify it for Fantasy but not for 40k. In Fantasy, he becomes Independent immediately after the last dude in his unit dies but before Panic checks, as covered by the FAQ.

In 40k, since he's still part of the squad for that turn as you can only leave or join in the Movement Phase, he has to take a Morale Check for taking 25% casualties (unless he's Fearless).

If he fails he flees as normal.

Where some people don't agree is whether or not he can rally (Space Marines and other special rules aside).

View 1:
Since he's still part of the squad when he flees, and you can't ever leave a squad when fleeing, he's still part of the squad. Since it's under 50%, he cannot rally and so continues to flee forever. Bye bye character.

View 2:
Since he's no longer within 2" of the blown away unit, he reverts to independent status and thus can attempt to rally (other restrictions aside).

The former is what would happen if 40k was interpreted by a programmer, where such programs are neatly written (unlike GW). Neither and both are only hinted at by the rules, with no clear answer. It's up to you and your opponent to decide how to play it out at this point. The situation is incredibly rare though, so you probably don't ever have to worry about it happening.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Turtle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:59 pm

take a look at the inat tney cover it, basically at the end of the phase he reverts to independant character status, and may rally auto rally etc...
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby seahawk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 am

INAT is only house rules, but it does cover any tournaments played under its aegis. Just be careful when playing elsewhere.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)