Stompa - they any good?

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Stompa - they any good?

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 am

Anyone use the Stompas in the past? Debating on running Orks this year for the gladiator and thought it might be fun to run one.

Also what variation?

Thanks,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:54 am

I want to make a snarky Epic comment but I really can't :P
Lordgoober

Postby Redbeard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:54 pm

They're fun. And they're kinda cool models.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Not sure if this is a rules question :P but from what I've seen and heard, the stompas can be pretty darn good and are fun to play.

And like Redbeard said, the models are pretty cool :)
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:00 pm

There are lots of different kinds of Stompas you can field.

The one that sticks out in my mind has a gun that can keep targeting different enemy units rolling (I think) 2D6 S6 shots at each unit until you roll a double to run out of ammo (kinda like the Tervigon running out of gaunts on a double). Plus it can stomp things.
Lord Krungharr

Postby jrnach » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 pm

The mek stompa is pretty good with it's ability to pick up and throw tanks.
jrnach

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 am

In Imperial Armour 8 there are rules for making your own Stompa armed with any of the options from the ones found in other books. It lets you do some interesting things like reducing the transport capacity to zero in exchange for the ability to carry various extra weapons.

I highly recommend dropping the cash for IA8 if you're an Ork player. for example: Shokk Attack Gun on a tank? Yep. You can.
Brian

Postby YeezyMozart » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Brian, Stompas Are so much fun. . . and they are really hard to deal with but the main problem with them in the gladiator is strength D titans.

A stompa with A mek inside of it and some grot orderly is awesome and can repair itself along with the 4+ cover save. Really tough to handle.

The strength D shoots right through all this, so its the biggest draw back.

I will be playing orks in the gladiator because I want to run a stompa since they are just a blast to play with.

My recommendations for them are either take the Kustom one from a White Dwarf I have it. Also I think its in Imperial armor 8. The benifit of this one is you can take the psyco-dakka blasta and the lifta droppa. These are the two best wargear options.

The Lifta Droppa is a guarantee tank damaged in some way and then moved to another spot. D6 glances auto. The blasta is the one that keeps shooting as long as you don't get doubles. There are also other upgrades def arsenal 3d6 shots at st9 ap3. There is the belly gun st7 ap4 3d6 radius blast! There i a repair crew that can even repair structure points on a roll of a 6.

I am going with the Goff stompa I believe it is called. It has two giant titan close combat saws. Strength D in combat and uses the lifta droppa rule after it kills something in close combat. It moves 12" and assaults 12". It also has a few big shootas and a big flame apoc template strength 6 ap 3. It carries 30 models as well. bottom line is it is FAST and only 450 points!! it can make that back easy in most games so I think it is the best bang for your buck.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:14 pm

The unsung ability of the Lifta-Droppa is its ability to change the facing of a vehicle.

If you open the shooting phase with the Lifta there's a good chance that the rear armor of the vehicle you're lifting is going to end up facing something on your side that can do some additional damage. Even a big shoota can penetrate the rear armor of many vehicles.

Also in IA8 is the Lifta Wagon which is a battlewagon that carries a Lifta-Droppa. I'm thinking it's a good candidate for a sidebar list in the Gladiator. If I face an army with no vehicles I simply use the other sidebar. That battlewagon does not completely lose its transport capacity (it drops to only 6) so you can still put a Big Mek inside.
Brian

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Just got my hands on imperial armor 8 and Brian it is a great book for anyone interested in Orks for the gladiator. I take back my recommendation for the Goff Klaw Stompa and I instead recommend the kustom stompa in the imperial armor 8 book.

The book has a lot of other good non super heavy resources.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 am

I've been having fun putting my stompa together. I decided to make it a big mek stompa so I just need to wait for the forgeworld head and arm to come in and I'm set.

Looking forward to hurling vehicles!
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Those stompa are neat. I played against one in last years gladiator. he grabbed my wave serpant with eldrad and a full squad of warlock and tossed it................up in the air to land behind him.

Needless to say eldrad and his boys didn't like that and 30+ witch blade/singing spear attacks later in the next round the stompa was no more.

Still they are neat to see and play against. GL you guys this year i didnt sign up for the gladiator this time around.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)