New BRB FAQ

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

New BRB FAQ

Postby seahawk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:44 am

GW finally got around to putting up a new fAQ that addresses the many issues I and many others have been debating over:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... ue&start=2
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:57 am

That's good news. Didn't expect that all the people die in a vehicle that goes flat out when it's destroyed!

BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby DragonBait » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Oh man that's ridiculous. This past weekend in a tournament I destroyed 3 DE vehicles with all their baddies inside after they went flat out. Too bad this faq didn't come out about a week ago =P
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby seahawk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm

No no, that doesn't change your game Friz. It's just clarifying that, if the vehicle moves flat out and is immobilized/destroyed in the same player turn, all the dudes die, not if you shoot it the player turn after. Page 9 specifies that unless a rules specifically says "game turn," it always means 'player turn.'

And yes Mr Snuggles, that's how it's always been with 5th edition :wink: . Flat-out + immobilized (for Dangerous Terrain or whatever) = wrecked, and since passengers cannot disembark when a transport moves flat out they go splat.

My problem is with one on the last page:
Q: What happens when a unit arrives from reserves but is unable to completely move onto the board? (p94)
A: The unit is destroyed and removed from play.

Okay, so what about Shadowswords or other superheavies? If they roll on their mighty 6" they are automatically destroyed...I don't like that one bit.

Same goes for Monoliths. I believe they are just over 6" long and only have a 6" move...so since they move on the table but not completely, they are destroyed. Mandatory Deep Strike doesn't seem right either.

Or land raiders or valkyries. These large models only moving on 6" leaves them hanging off the edge, but of course they have the choice to move faster...making the faster speed mandatory now. Blegh, I don't like it.
Last edited by seahawk on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby n00bzilla99 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Cptn_Snuggles wrote:That's good news. Didn't expect that all the people die in a vehicle that goes flat out when it's destroyed!

BC

Remember that the question says "In the same turn". Which if you go back to the beginning of the BRB is defined as "Player Turn" in all instances except when specially noted.

So, if the vehicle is destroyed while moving through Difficult Terrain, Dangerous Terrain, while Ramming, or anything that happens during the Player's turn who moves flat out, then the passengers are destroyed. After that, they are free to disembark should the vehicle be destroyed, so if you move flat out, then get shot down in your opponent shooting phase or managed to get pulled down in the assault phase, you are still able to disembark.

This didn't really clarify much that the BRB already didn't talk about in my opinion, this is how I've been playing it from the start.

EDIT: DARN NINJAS!!! :P
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby moonshadow13 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 pm

only thing i have to add to the flat out destroyed rules is Eldar are immume if they have Vector engines as it prevents them from wrecking they just stop and park.

There are game rules and there are ELDAR game rules :)

Still i really liked some of these being made official GW FAQs. I had the same issue with IG opponents last year and their valkyries failing and crashing, but the judges ruled the guys did not die and were instead rolling for pinning check and the vehicle wrecks not blows up so no explosion saves.

I will be adding these to my book of FAQs
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby CmdrVimes » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 am

As far as cmpletely on the board, the only thing effected are superheavies. Monoliths are exactly 6" or maybe a hair less, Land Raiders must come on sideways or move more than 6. Guess you just don't put superheavies in reserve or have a house rule.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby seahawk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 am

Yea we checked the size of a monolith, and you're right front to back it's exactly 6", but side to side it's longer so it can only come straight on (or deep strike). Valkyries are much bigger than 6" too, so this might force more Valkyries on the table than Vendettas, being able to get more shots on the turn it arrives...eh we'll see.

I like using the special character shadowsword that counts as a scoring unit and can Flank March, so leaving it in reserve is all too common. House rules is where it's at.
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:50 am

Is this just a lot of noise about nothing? How many people are keeping baneblades in reserve? And, geese, if you're using a baneblade, aren't you playing a friendly game of apocalypse anyway? Bend the rules so they work. Make an exception for models that are bigger than 6".

I think that it's pretty apparent that the FAQ item exists to clarify the situation where an opponent has blocked a board edge, not to punish people using large models.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby seahawk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 am

That's what I figure the intent to be as well, but it does have unintended consequences as a result. I just want to see some form of conclusion on it, for if I ever bring a large enough vehicle to the tournaments, naturally there will be a Dawn of War scenario where it has to arrive from reserve.
seahawk

Postby CmdrVimes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:30 am

I do see the point of the rule. I have always interpreted it this way. I have had several games where people have tried to squeeze models into a tight spot to gain cover or some other advantage. Ive always told them they would lose the unit for being off the board and have always gotten an "Oh, ya," with no argument. It's really not a change.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)