'Special' Characters at adepticon 2008?

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

'Special' Characters at adepticon 2008?

Postby Redbeard » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:42 pm

So, after listening to Jervis's speach about how they're changing the nature of Special characters, and seeing the new Dark Angel codex, will there be a revamp to the rules for how special characters are allowed in the team tournament?

Cause, at the moment, it would be impossible to play A Deathwing / Ravenwing / Angels force, as you need special characters to unlock deathwing and ravenwing armies.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby aussie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:39 pm

Not looking at the codex, and even thou we did know them in the past as special character's, was it not left out of the codex the words "special character"?
"Your honour is your life. Let none dispute it."
Captain Navarre of the Black Templars 4th Crusade.

"2006 best overal - 1850 championship 40k, 2007 best general - 1850 championship 40k" thunder from down under baby
aussie

Postby JonnyP » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:48 am

"Special Characters" will fade away with each new codex. Now you really just have to allow every unit in the codex to be used to be fair, IMO. They are all part of the army list section now and just because they have a name, does not make them any different now.
JonnyP

Postby Centurian99 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm ambivalent here...

But you're saying that you've got no problem if you're up against an Eldar coalition and you see 2 Eldrad's across the table from you? Or you're playing against Dark Eldar, and there are 2 Vect AV 14 skimmers across the table?
Centurian99

Postby JonnyP » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:49 pm

Of course it does not make sense fluffwise and would be VERY tough competition, but look at the last two recent codicies released and how they get away from the "Special Characters" section....especially Dark Angels.

What if we want to have a Deathwing Team? We would HAVE to have two Belial's right?
JonnyP

Postby DrakeShadow » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:05 pm

[quote="Centurian99"]I'm ambivalent here...

But you're saying that you've got no problem if you're up against an Eldar coalition and you see 2 Eldrad's across the table from you? Or you're playing against Dark Eldar, and there are 2 Vect AV 14 skimmers across the table?[/quote]

You wouldn't be able to have two Special Characters because its says in their description that they are indiviual and that you could only have one in the army. And about the death wing/Ravenwing, they might just have to have one and every one just has a terminator Capt/Chap/Lib? I dunno it a very good question though.
DrakeShadow

Postby Papa_Nurgle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Centurian,
I would have no problem facing 2 Eldrad's or whatever. Points balance in the end. If some team wants to bring 4 Chief Librarian Tiwhatius, more power to 'em. That's nearly 200 points of non scoring unit, per team. Will it suck? Yup. But scores will reflect.
There will always be those who break the rules - I would rather let the gamers themselves police themselves. There is a gladiator the night before for the cheesefest - Saturday is for the team. If someone wants to bring 4 Belials to field a themed Dark Angel army - then more power to them. That's the sort of coolness this thing is about.
The other option is to go through the new codexes and make 'tournament' rules for how to build a coalition:

For instance: If Belial is taken by any player in a completely Dark Angel team, any teammate may use his rules for army building. Likewise with The other guy - Sammael?

The other question that follows:
Can the UM honour guard only be used by UMs, or can any codex chapter use them?
How about Tyrannid hunters? (Wouldn't they be useful in a tournament filled with 'nids)
How about the UM special characters? The DA Special Characters already have the ability to be used in the unforgiven chapters - why would smurfs be any different?

Definitely some questions to be thought over by the Council.
Team TnA Founding Member.
WHABSAB!
Every Time you use the word "fluff," a kitten dies.

Purple ticket owner.
Papa_Nurgle

Postby aussie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:55 pm

If i saw 2 eldrad i would laugh, and after that go ding for stupidness
"Your honour is your life. Let none dispute it."
Captain Navarre of the Black Templars 4th Crusade.

"2006 best overal - 1850 championship 40k, 2007 best general - 1850 championship 40k" thunder from down under baby
aussie

Return to AdeptiCon 2007